For all too many people these days, vacations are few and far between. With longer workdays, upended home lives, and some travel restrictions still in place, choosing the right location to spend that valuable free time is more important than ever.
No matter if you’re looking to escape today or later this year, we’re highlighting some of the top travel destinations that are well worth visiting.
The Great Outdoors
Even when social distance guidelines are a thing of the past, getting outside and enjoying the fresh air and beauty of nature is almost always worth it. If you enjoy long challenging hikes or you want to see some gorgeous scenic views, check out one of these three top spots.
1. See Old Faithful - If you’ve never been one of the 4 million annual visitors to the 2.2 million-acres of Yellowstone National Park, it may be time to put it at the top of your list. The hot springs have awe-inspiring swirls of colorful pools and the volatile geysers and their streams of steaming water launched toward the sky are a sight to behold and of course are a huge draw for tourists. However, there are also expansive meadows, verdant forests, expansive wildlife-watching opportunities, and numerous hiking trails.
2. The Grand Canyon - Truly a sight to behold, this natural wonder is over 270 river miles in length, 18 miles in width at its widest, and a mile deep. The South Rim provides plenty of amenities and attracts numerous visitors every year, but those looking for challenging hiking options are backwoods camping have the North Rim, providing a little something for everyone.
3. Yosemite National Park - Features 1,200 square miles of beauty that simply must be seen to truly understand its epic beauty. With some of the most unique rock formations in the country, Sequoia trees that have been around for millennia, towering waterfalls, Half Dome, and El Capitan, just to name a few, it’s a trip you’ll remember for a lifetime.
Two More Top Spots in California
The Golden State has a lot to offer travelers of all ages but if you can only pick one or two, you can’t go wrong with San Francisco and/or Lake Tahoe.
1. San Francisco - With it being only 49 square miles, this city has numerous great places that you can visit in a short amount of time. No matter which of the fantastic San Francisco hotels you choose, you’re never far from riding an iconic cable car, seeing the historic Golden Gate Bridge or Alcatraz, catching a memorable show at The Fillmore, The Warfield Theater, or The Masonic, checking out the beach and Pier 39, or SO much more.
2. Lake Tahoe - Crystal-clear waters, steep granite cliff sides, towering mountaintops, miles of hiking trails, dozens of picture-perfect vistas, and some of the best skiing in the country, Lake Tahoe is the perfect vacation spot for those that love the outdoors.
Rounding Out the List
While this may seem like an article slanted toward California, that’s just because it has several fantastic must-see locations. However, the remaining occupants of this list are top contenders as well and the numbered method of this article should in no way be taken as one location is better than another. It’s all a matter of what you want your vacation to include and since it’s a list of 10 destinations, we felt obligated to number them.
Anyway, some other top U.S travel destinations or travel through car by International Drivers Association worth visiting are:
3. Maui - Two words sum this one up - It’s Hawaii!
4. Glacier National Park - 700 lakes, two mountain ranges, multiple waterfalls, and all the hiking you can handle.
5. Zion National Park - Photographers, hikers, bikers, and climbers love the massive freestanding arches in Utah.
6. New York City - With all the Big Apple has to offer, we’d be remiss if we left it off this list.
7. New Orleans - Whether you’re into music, the paranormal, or just want to party, New Orleans is definitely worth visiting.
No matter where you decide to take your next vacation, you pretty much cannot go wrong with any of the places on today’s list. Everyone needs downtime, especially after the fiasco of 2020, and selecting a top spot is almost always a guarantee of a great time.