An elegant, functional, and well-designed dining room can become the centre of attraction for your home. Before selecting the dining table and chairs for your home, you should consider several factors such as shape, size, material type, etc. So let’s look at the essential considerations:
1. Dining Room Style
Regardless of the style of your home, you should select a dining table that will harmonise your dining area. Select from a modern, traditional, country, or Scandinavian style, but ensure your dining table matches with its surroundings. Here are some popular dining table designs that will match the existing interiors of your home.
- Modern & Contemporary dining table style contains straight-edged and clean-bordered forms made out of metal, wood, or glass.
- Industrial dining table style contains wood or metal.
- Classic or Period dining table style contains vital components such as shaped aprons, curved cabriole legs, and ornamentation.
- Scandinavian dining table style contains smooth and modest pieces with slim tabletops and splayed or angled legs.
- Traditional, Vintage, or Country dining table style contains exposed wooden surfaces or heavy farmhouse style.
Thus, your dining table and chairs design should serve as a practical centrepiece and be harmonised by each component in the room.
2. Dining Room Size
It is vital to know how much space is available so that accordingly, you can select the furniture for your home. So inspect your dining room or the open kitchen where you’ll place your dining set. It will give you an idea about the size and shape of the dining table that you can conveniently fit in the available space; which will help you to shop for the appropriate dining table. Remember, the distance between the edge of your dining table and the wall or any other furniture piece should be around three feet - it will provide you with adequate space to move your chair and sufficient clearance while walking around the table.
3. Dining Table Shape
Well, you’ll have to choose a shape for your dining table that best suits the size of your dining room or area. Dining tables are available in various shapes such as the oval, round, square, rectangular, and even triangular. Besides, you’ll get dining tables with 2 seats, 4 seats, 6 and 8 seats respectively. Moreover, you would want to buy a dining table that can comfortably seat all of your family members together, so you’ll have to keep the following things in mind when shopping for the dining table:
- Available Space
- Required Sitting Capacity
- Dining Table Shape You Prefer
4. Type of Seating
Purchasing the entire dining set (which includes a dining table and chairs) is the best way to shop for both dining tables and chairs. Alternatively, you can select the dining chairs that match your dining table. Nowadays, eclectic style is getting more and more popular. So be creative and experiment with the chairs, both in shape and form, and add a spirit of opulence in your dining area. Moreover, when selecting your dining table, you can blend options with a bench and different chairs.
5. Material & Finishes
If you choose a premium quality, durable material and finish, then it would be easy for you to clean and maintain it for the long term. Popular material choices are listed below and you need to choose one that best suits your home interiors.
- MDF (Medium Density Fibreboard) is popular for its quality and durability. Besides, MDF is also easy to clean and maintain. It is the best choice for any modern home.
- Granite and quartz table tops are a classic choice that is easy to maintain. It best suits modern or contemporary home interiors. Granite and quartz can be cleaned effortlessly using a damp cloth.
- A glass top dining table works flawlessly with many home interiors. As glass tables are reflective, they make the room more spacious and luminous. Glass tops are somewhat easy to clean; however, chipped edges and fingerprint stains are a common issue.
- If you prefer a wooden dining table, then choose hardwoods such as teak, oak, walnut, or mahogany. If the wood is painted or lacquered, use a moist cloth to clean it. Never use furniture polish because it leaves a residue with time.
The Bottom Line
- It is prudent to buy high quality and durable dining table set for your home and family so that it serves you longer.
- However, if you reside in a rented home, it is best to select a dining table design that is lightweight and robust. Another fantastic feature to look out for is a drop leaf dining table that helps you to extend the table topper as per your requirements.
- If you need a dining table for outdoor use, then cheap outdoor dining sets such as plastic or rattan are the best alternatives.