Mosquito is one of the most dangerous insects as it causes deadly diseases like malaria, dengue, and Zika. They can also transmit illnesses and parasites to animals like dogs and horses. These life-threatening insects are most active during the summer, so know seven effective ways to get rid of mosquitoes quickly.
- Mosquito Trap
One of the best ways to lure mosquitoes away is by building a mosquito trap. You can search online about what is the best mosquito trap in 2019, or you can do these following steps:
- Cut the top off a 2-liter cold drink bottle, turn it upside down and place it inside, so that it resembles a funnel.
- Mix a cup of sugar, a cup of water, and a teaspoon of yeast.
- Boil another one cup of water and combine it with the sugar mixture.
- Transfer to the funnel and seal the two parts of the bottle with tape.
- Now, you have a homemade mosquito trap to lure mosquitoes away.
- Leave in a dark, humid area for at least two weeks, then replace it into a new one.
- DIY Mosquito Repellent
Mosquito repellent is now easy and affordable to make. Some of the homemade mosquito repellents that can piece together to ward off mosquitoes are as follows:
- Leaving a saucer of dishwashing soap to chase away mosquitoes
- Apply peppermint oil, lemon eucalyptus oil, witch hazel, and vanilla extract as anti-mosquito solutions to your skin.
- Use citronella candles in warding off mosquitoes.
- Place crushed herbs (peppermint, garlic, eucalyptus, etc.) around your house and garden.
- Grow Mosquito-Repelling Plants
As a long-term solution, consider growing plants known for their mosquito-repelling properties. If you have a green thumb, these solutions are suitable for your hobby where you can also repel mosquitoes:
- Place garlic and lavender plants around your home as a useful deterrent for mosquitoes.
- Planting marigold, catnip, lemongrass, rosemary, peppermint, and ageratum can help repel mosquitoes.
- Remove Stagnant Water
Mosquitoes need standing water, not only for breeding but also for egg hatching. They love warm and damp conditions, so eliminate all still-standing water around your property. These are some precautionary measures that you can do:
- Ensure drains and trenches are clear and unclogged.
- Treating the water with bleach also do the trick.
- Do not leave open containers around the garden that can fill up with stagnant water.
- Trim Weeds and Grasses
One reason why mosquitoes spend days lying low in grass and weeds is because of they need humidity. Grasses and weeds are their hiding places. Adult mosquitoes are also found in bushes and shrubs because they feed on plant nectar. Trimming and getting rid of overgrowth weeds help prevent mosquitoes from infesting your surroundings. To get rid of adult mosquitoes, do the following:
- Spray the foliage of bushes and shrubs; and
- Lower limbs of shade trees, tall grass, and shaded areas with a residual insecticide.
- Attract Natural Predators
You must have been wondering why mosquitoes have to exist if they only bring danger to humans. They play an essential role in the ecosystem, like in the process of pollination. Without them, several species of plants and animals will slowly eradicate, as mosquitoes are natural prey to some animals.
Do not be hesitant to get some help from nature. One way to repel mosquitoes in your area is to encourage natural predators, like birds and bats, in your backyard. Bird species, like the Purple Martin, like feasting on mosquitoes and other flying insects that can harm you.
Aside from these animals, you can also let any spiders stay when you come across one in your property. They may look horrible to see for you and your children, but spiders do a great job of keeping the mosquitoes away from your house.
- Use Mosquito Zapper
Mosquito repelling techniques are innovating as time passes, so mosquito zappers are available in the market. These tools usually come in two forms: portable and electric zapper.
- Portable Mosquito Zapper
Unfortunately, no one has invented a permanent mosquito repellent yet. However, there is a new method of repelling mosquito, which is a long-term barrier using a portable mosquito barrier. This innovative device only requires one touch in which you can use for both indoor and outdoor mosquito protection.
- Electric Bug Zapper
If you want to kill this insect yourself, alternatively, you can eliminate the mosquitoes with an electric racket. By only taking one quick swing towards the mosquito’s direction, you can watch the insect fry to death. Despite the use of electricity, this device is eco-friendly, so you can use it without compromising environmental concern.
- Call a Professional
The DIY methods above may be cheaper and useful, but not enough to treat a harmful and large mosquito infestation. If mosquito problems seemed out of control, call a professional mosquito control services right away. They can ensure to avoid incorrect use of chemicals, accidentally toxic amounts usage, or spread formulas hazardous for your family or pets. Their treatments take all variables into account and ensure that your money is well-spent.
Repelling mosquito is only one way to keep your family safe from deadly and unnoticeable mosquito-caused diseases. Making a mosquito killer and repellent yourself can surely lessen expenses, but do all precautionary measures at all times. Seek professional services to prevent more severe mosquito problems.