Cold sores are also called ‘fever blisters’. Apart from embarrassing, they can also be painful and itchy. The virus ‘Herpes Simplex’ is responsible for causing the problem. Doctors in London usually rely on antiviral medicines to shorten the duration of the symptoms. Other than medicines, many home remedies are available to reduce both the inconvenience and discomfort resulting from the infection.
Recent studies conclude that certain essential oils prove effective in treating this nasty medical condition. In the following paragraphs of this blog post, we will explore some essential oils that provide remedy to cold sores.
Essential oils that cure cold sores:
- Lavender oil: Lavender oil is widely used to treat a number of issues related to the skin including bruises and irritation. Although the oil hardly has any effect on the virus, it certainly minimises the pain that cold sores cause. However, when you’re applying lavender oil to your cold sores for the first time, avoid the strong, concentrated form. Mix it with any carrier oil and apply that thin mixture to your sores. If there is no unwanted side-effects, go ahead and use the concentrated form of the oil to treat the sores. Apply a drop or two of the oil directly to the sore.
- Peppermint oil: This essential oil is known to slow down the activity of the both Type 1 and Type 2 herpes viruses. The dermatologists suggest peppermint oil has the potential to cure recurrent herpes infections. Mix a few drops each of almond oil and peppermint oil and apply the mixture directly on your sores.
- Chrysanthemum oil: Chrysanthemum oil possesses a strong anti-inflammatory effect. As a result, it proves effective in minimising the symptoms of cold sores. However, a large number of people are found to be allergic to Chrysanthemum oil. Therefore, you should conduct a patch test by applying a drop or two of the oil to a small area of the skin. If there’s no allergic reaction, you can apply it directly to the sores. Before that you should make the Chrysanthemum oil thinner by mixing a few drops of any carrier oil.
- Eucalyptus oil: This one too possesses strong anti-inflammatory property. By reducing the inflammation, it can speed up your recovery from cold sores unlike many medicines. You should not apply this essential oil directly to the sores and rather, make it thinner by mixing any carrier oil with it. Some people are found to be allergic to eucalyptus oil. If you experience any rash or irritation on applying this remedy oil to the cold sores, you have to stop using it immediately.
- Clove oil: According to many doctors, this is one of the best options for cold sores treatment using essential oils. Research concludes that clove oil is not only effective to suppress infections caused by the herpes simplex but also that caused by hepatitis C. As far as cold sores are concerned, antimicrobial and antiviral properties of clove oil help in reducing the pain and other related inconveniences. You can use coconut oil to make the clove oil thinner and apply the oil mixture to treat cold sores.
- Tea tree oil: Recent study concludes that the oil extracted from tea plants possesses the ability to control and remove the virus that causes cold sores – herpes simplex. Just like other essential oil therapies discussed above, you should mix this too with any carrier oil and only apply the oil mixture to the sores to minimise the chances of unwanted side-effects.
- Hyssop oil: This is a unique variety of essential oil, which hugely minimises the activity of the herpes simplex virus that causes the cold sores. You should mix hyssop oil with any carrier oil before applying it to the affected skin area.
- Lemon balm oil: It is also known by the name ‘the Melissa extract’, which possesses antiviral properties to control the herpes simplex virus. Studies conclude that it prevents the cold sores-causing the virus from penetrating into the cells. You should mix the Melissa extract with any carrier oil before applying to the sores.
- Thyme oil: This essential oil proves effective to treat the infection caused by the Type 1 herpes simplex virus. You should mix it with any carrier oil before applying to the cold sores.
One of the best dermatologists in London suggests the remedies discussed above. Try out the options if you want to get cured from the viral infection fast and hassle-free.