As per the OHS safety and security standards, every plant in the industrial sector must be in compliance with the basic risk assessment and investigations. Any plant which involves production, running, use of heavy industrial tools and equipment need to adhere to safety and hygiene standards. We have often heard about companies being negligent to implement the basic steps of security which eventually results in casualties at the workplaces. As a company owner, you would not want to get into a mess and face the legal brunt or lose your workers. You are hence advised to follow plant risk assessment which involves a complete evaluation of the plant and its components to analyze any potential risks or hazardous conditions or factors that can be accidental.
Plant risk assessment involves checking mechanical, electrical, thermal, and operations associated with the plant. It involves the assessment of causes of potential risks. It is important to hire a professional plant risk assessment company or professional who is qualified and has experience in risk assessment.
What does the plant risk assessment involve?
Plant risk assessment involves detailed analysis and assessment of the various equipment, tools, machinery, chemicals, vehicles and components used in the plant which can cause potential damage to the workers working in the plant. Some of the basic items which can cause a potential risk are as follows:
- Pressure equipment
- Explosive powered tools etc.
Any mechanical equipment used in the plant is prone to wear and tear. Continuous use of these mechanisms may result in degradation of their quality which makes it imperative to repair or replace them promptly. However, sometimes plants are unable to assess this, and this can result in accidents. Hiring an expert plant risk assessment assessor will help you identify the problem areas effectively and recommend measures to prevent any unfortunate incident.
Advantages of hiring a professional plant risk assessment
Hiring a professional plant risk assessment expert helps ensure that the inspection and evaluation of the working condition of the plant are made thoroughly and as per the legal standards.
- A detailed assessment of plant is possible- One of the major benefits of conducting plant risk assessment only with a professional assessor is that they will detect the cause of any potential risks or problem quickly. Their training and work experience make them efficient assessors.
- The efficiency of the present system can be assessed effectively– A professional plant risk assessor makes thorough estimations whether the current unit or business operations are effective and safe or not. If they have potential risks, they can come up with effective changes and also help the firm get them implemented and reviewed.
- Reduces the risk of accidents and injuries- A plant risk assessment professional makes a detailed inspection of plant equipment in a critical manner. Hence their reports are unbiased and neutral. They help to ensure whether the machinery and equipment being used are going to collapse while using them. If yes, they will recommend a replacement or a repair in their reports thus help in preventing accidents and injuries at the site of work.
- Regular check ensures cost-control- Some of the defects in the plant are repairable and this is detected easily by an expert. If companies ignore a repair then, in the long run, it might require a complete replacement which will put the extra burden of cost on the owner. So such checks can help save finances in the long run.
Steps of risk assessment for plants
Plant risk assessment involves the following steps:
- Analysis of the cause of the problem promptly.
- Documentation of the problem and recommending necessary actions.
- Implementing the change by repairing or replacing the parts of the plant or entire unit.
- Reviewing the implemented change to see if there is any difference in the plant operation.
It can be concluded that only a professional risk assessor can help assess a plant’s performance and its efficiency levels. Hiring a professional will help in overcoming any risks which can be hazardous to the plant and the people.