There are many good pubs out there in the UK like Gigi’s Hoxton but if it's your first time going to the pub, then it's important to drink moderately. Here, in this article, we will discuss some drinks that are not suitable for first-time drinkers.
Death in the Afternoon
Absinthe is a highly alcoholic spirit that was banned in the US even before the 1919 Prohibition. The three main herbs used in production of absinthe are Grande Wormwood, Green Anise and Sweet Fennel. Traditionally, the alcohol is infused a second time before bottling to intensify the flavor and create the signature green color and was originally thought to cause hallucinations due to a compound found in the wormwood.
- 1 ½ ounces of Absinthe
- 5 ounces of Champagne
- Pour the absinthe into a flute
- Top up the glass with the champagne
While this drink may be very simple, it is very strong and has a reasonably acquired taste, and for these reasons would not be suitable for first time drinkers.
The Bloody Mary is one of the world’s best known cocktails mainly for its well known use as a hangover cure. Despite the endless variations and regardless of how you choose to make it, the Bloody Mary’s strength is not debatable.
- Celery salt
- 1 lemon wedge
- 1 lime wedge
- 2 ounces of vodka
- 4 ounces of tomato juice
- 2 teaspoons of horseradish
- 2 dashes of Tabasco sauce
- 2 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch of ground pepper
- 1 pinch smoked paprika
- Garish of your choice
- Pour some celery salt onto a small plate.
- Rub the lemon or lime wedge along the lip of a glass.
- Roll the outer edge of the glass in celery salt until fully coated, then fill the glass with ice and set aside.
- Squeeze the lemon and lime wedges into a shaker.
- Add the vodka, tomato juice, horseradish, Tabasco, Worcestershire, black pepper, paprika, plus a pinch of celery salt along with ice and shake gently.
- Strain into the prepared glass.
This drink is reasonably complicated, and quite alcoholic - as well as having an acquired taste and for this reason, I would not recommend it for first time drinkers
This is one of the most famous cocktails to make, because it is so difficult to make, as well as being reasonably old.
- 45 ml Ron Zacapa Centenario 23
- 45 ml Vermouth
- 1tsp Maraschino
- 1 dash of Rum Bitters
- Wood chips
- Rinse the inside of a decanter with rum
- Fill a teapot and strainer with wood chips, then toast them to ignite a small flame. Pour the rum into the teapot - with the chips still smoking and let sit
- Use the same chips and a smoke infuser to fill the decenter with smoke
- Stir the rest of the ingredients into a glass with ice, then strain into a decanter. Add the rum, cap the decenter and swirl to blend the flavours
- Pour into a low glass, and serve with a cigar
While this drink isn’t necessarily very alcoholic, it takes so much precision and effort that it is incredibly difficult to make and for that reason is not suitable for first-time drinkers.
Now, you know which drinks you should avoid when going to the pub for the first time. It is also extremely important to always drink moderately, especially when going to the pub for the first time. Also, remember to choose what you drink; drinks with high alcoholic content is not suitable for first-time drinkers.