Office 365 the fastest growing product of Microsoft. It comes as a subscription-based service that allows users to add online Exchange, online Office, SharePoint, and other software as a service in their subscription plan. It stores data on the cloud, and many organizations/users believe that moving towards Office 365 means backup is no longer necessary, but it’s not true. Microsoft has already mentioned in the service availability section of its service agreement that they are not liable for any disruption, outage, and data loss. Microsoft also recommends the use of a third-party Office 365 backup tool to backup Office 365 mailboxes.
Here in this blog, we will describe a manual method and an automated tool for Office 365 email backup. Before this, we will describe why do you need Office 365 mailbox backup?
Reasons for the Office 365 mailbox backup
We all know Office 365 stores data on the cloud that make data accessibility much easier, but also increase the chances of data breaching. Cloud data is universally accessible, and it can be subjected to unauthorized access and ransomware attack. Besides this, we only know Office 365 stores data on the cloud, but where? And what if unintentionally we delete some Office 365 emails where will we find them to retrieve. So in these scenarios having Office 365 backup in local disk comes in handy.
How and where to Backup Office 365 emails?
PST is the best option to store Office 365 email backup as PST files are easy to port and access. You can use the manual method (e-Discovery) to backup Office 365 emails. Let me show you how?
Create Office 365 mailbox backup using e-Discovery:
Pursue the following step by step process to backup Office 365 mailboxes using the e-Discovery option.
- Login to Office 365 with administrator credentials.
- Go to Office 365 admin center and click on the Exchange option.
- The Exchange admin center opens
- Click on the permission option on the left pane
- Make double click on the Discovery Management.
- The role group-discovery management page opens, complete the steps as follows
- Enter the name and description in respective fields.
- Click on the + sign under the roles, choose Mailbox import and export option, and click Ok.
- Now click on the + sign under the Members, add yourself as a member and click Ok.
- At last, click save.
- Now click on the compliance management option from the Admin center and Click on the + button
- The new in-place eDiscovery and hold page will open, create a search query to export mailbox items.
- Provide a name for your search.
- Enter the description in the respective box.
- Click the Next button.
- On the next page, select the mailboxes which you want to cover by search and click Next.
- Now click on the Search all mailboxes option, then apply the filters as per need and click on the Next button.
- After the Office 365 email backup process gets completed, click on the close button.
- Now click the download (↓) arrow and browse the location where you want to save the Office 365 backup.
- At last, click on the Start button.
Drawbacks of e-Discovery method
The manual method has a long and tedious process, and it asks for technical knowledge and not suitable for novice users. Manually there is no guarantee of successful Office 365 mailbox backup. Manually there is a high chance of data loss. If you are a technocrat, then you can try the e-Discovery method for Office 365 email backup to PST for free. If you are a novice, then you should try third-party Office 365 backup tools.
Office 365 Backup and Restore Tool:
Shoviv Software is a well-known name and boon in the field of providing email backup, email recovery, and email migration software. Shoviv Office 365 backup and Restore Tool allows users to create Office 365 mailbox backup in PST format with minimum effort. It provides multiple user-centric features to make the backup process easy for everyone. Some of its key features are:
- The software smoothly backups the Office 365 mailboxes into PST format. Due to its convenient GUI, even a novice user can use the tool without technical knowledge and assistance.
- It provides the complete backup of User Mailboxes, Archive Mailboxes, and Public folder, etc.
- This tool provides the option for Periodic Scheduled Backup Jobs. Users can schedule backup process on a Daily, Weekly, or Monthly basis. By using the schedule option, the user can get rid of remembering the timely backup process.
- The software provides a filter option based on “Date” and Items. By this, the user can eliminate unwanted data from the backup process.
- An astounding option of a full and incremental backup is also provided in the Shoviv Office 365 Backup Solution. This option comes in handy when the user takes Office 365 email backup again. This option prevents the duplicity of the emails and only back up the increased data.
- The software works with the Job-based backup process. Hence users do not need to create connections one-time to run jobs.
- The software works concurrently and smoothly run multiple jobs at a time. Besides this, it allows restoring mailboxes to Office 365.
- The software also generates the status report of the process. Users can save the status report for the future.
- It comes with a free trial version that can use to evaluating software skills before purchasing.
(This tool has compatibility with all versions of Windows Operating System)
Manually Office 365 backup is possible for that you need to be a technocrat. Manually there is a chance of data loss. We suggest Shoviv Office 365 Backup and Restore Tool to backup Office 365 emails effortlessly and in a hassle-free manner. At last, it depends on you what you choose, risk of data loss with the manual method or safe and hassle-free backup with an automated tool. Whatever method you choose, choose as per your needs and ease.