Project Management Certifications by PMI
The world of Project Management offers many opportunities for individuals as well as organizations for their personal and organizational developments. Using the principles of project management organizations can ensure greater productivity and higher revenue from their businesses. And in the case of individuals who have the qualification and certification in project management can earn a better salary and have promising careers in the growing project management industry.
So, the question that many aspiring project management professionals (PMPs) wonder about is which project management certification offered by PMI (Project Management Institute) will be suitable for them. Both the PMP and CAPM certification exams are conducted by PMI, the global leaders for project management. The certification offered by them is recognized across all major industries around the world.
The PMP and CAPM certifications are different in many aspects. Each certification has some major advantages of its own, it really depends on the requirements of the individual aiming to attain the certification.
CAPM vs PMP: What's the difference?
Here are 5 important differences between the two project management certifications offered by PMI:
1. The PMP Certification is the most reputed and widely recognized professional certification globally. It is preferred by many organizations across major industries of the world. The project management professional (PMP) certification is for professionals who have some experience in the project management sector. While the CAPM (Certified Associate in Project Management) is suitable for individuals with less or zero experience in working in the project management industry.
2. PMI offers both the certification with adequate criteria that the PMP aspirants need to fulfill. For the PMP certification, the PMI handbook recommends higher education with at least 35 hours of professional training and education in project management methodology. As per the PMI handbook, the CAPM certification can be attempted by college graduates with a minimum of 23 hours spent in professional training sessions. This training must be completed with an authorized training provider for the required number of contact hours mentioned in the PMI handbook to be eligible to sit for the certification examination.
3. The CAPM certification examination tests a candidate’s knowledge of the project management methodology based on the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) Guide released by PMI. The PMP certification not only validates an individual’s knowledge of the project management concepts but also proves their proficiency in implementing project management tools in practice to manage projects in real life.
4. The certification course outline can be considered as a defining factor for the major difference between the two project management credentials. Organizations who hire certified PMPs have higher chances of getting better results with their employees knowing how to use several methods to improve project delivery. Whereas organizations hiring CAPM-certified PMPs are aware that their employees have a thorough understanding of the project management concepts and can work as entry-level representatives.
5. Both examinations are important for aspiring PMPs and tests their knowledge of the 10 essential fundamentals of project management. The CAPM certification is relatively new while the PMP certification has been around for a long time. But that does not decrease their importance. In fact, both serve as a deciding factor for organizations in the hiring process. With the growing number of vacancies opening up in the project management industry, individuals with either PMP or CAPM on their resumes will get more notice than those with no certification credentials.
What should you take: CAPM or PMP?
There are many other differences between the PMP and CAPM certification like the difficulty levels and costs of earning the PMP are higher compared to CAPM. And PMP certification owners have greater recognition in the industry and earn higher than other professional certification holders. However, individuals with CAPM certification can pursue the PMP certification later with the right PMP Training. They can use their existing experience and training to their advantage and fulfill the eligibility criteria for attempting the PMP certification examination. For those individuals who already have experience in managing and leading projects, registering for PMP Certification Training is the best way to ensure that they achieve the required education to attain the most valuable certification in the industry.