Cholesterol test or lipid profile or lipid panel is the way to check for the complete measurement of cholesterol including triglycerides (fat type) in the blood.
Cholesterol is way and soft fat that ensure proper functioning of the body. But excess of any amount can cause certain malfunctioning and issues. Therefore cholesterol is not an exception to this. It can lead to:
- Atherosclerosis (hardening or clogging of the arteries)
- Heart disease
Hence, it is extremely pivotal to check for the complete measurement of cholesterol after 35 years of age. Men should start testing earlier than the women. Women can commence the regular monitoring of cholesterol after 45. However, to ensure that you are fit and healthy, you can undergo testing once in every 5 years after 20 years of age. To start your testing today, visit a Medical Express Clinic in London.
The persons taking medication for HBP, stroke, heart disease and diabetes should undergo the test every year to keep an eye on its health. Continue reading this blog to know what involves in the cholesterol test.
Who are risky for high cholesterol level?
Cholesterol test is essential if:
- There is family history with heart disease and high cholesterol
- You smoke
- Have inactive lifestyle
- You are obese and overweight
- You drink alcohol recklessly
- You suffer from underactive thyroid, PCOS, kidney disease and diabetes
These activities trigger the level of LDL or bad cholesterol in the blood.
What is the importance of cholesterol test measurement?
Complete cholesterol test comprises of fats and lipids of 4 kinds in the blood. It detects for:
- Total measurement of cholesterol- It offers the picture of complete cholesterol amount present in the blood.
- LDL cholesterol (low-density lipoprotein)- It is known as bad cholesterol. Excessive level of this kind can heighten the heart attack risk, atherosclerosis and stroke.
- HDL cholesterol (high-density lipoprotein)- Also known as good cholesterol as it assists in the removal of LDL cholesterol.
- Triglycerides- During eating, the excess calories transform into triglycerides by the body that you can find stored in the fat cells. Overweight, sweet-tooth, diabetic persons have high level of triglyceride. Even this problem is common in the persons who drink much.
Cholesterol test preparation
In most of the cases, doctor will ask you for fasting prior to undergo the test. Only if you need to check total cholesterol and HDL along then you will be allowed to eat something. For complete lipid profile fasting is essential to obtain accurate report. In fact you should not drink water for 9-12 hours for undergo the test and receive accurate report.
Doctor will ask certain questions on the following before the test:
- Current supplements and medications
- Family health history with heart problems
- Health problems or any associated symptoms you are experiencing at present
In case you are taking anything which can increase the cholesterol level you should stop it immediately for couple of days for the test. Afterwards, you can have your supplements and medications as normal.
In what way cholesterol test carries out?
Blood sample is necessary for testing for cholesterol level in the blood of an individual. Phlebotomist will draw the sample in the morning and you need to fast since last night until the blood gets drawn.
Private blood test is the procedure of outpatient and completes within a few minutes. There is no pain involved with the procedure. You can perform it at any nearby clinic or diagnostic lab. By making regular visit to the doctor you can undergo the test too.
Check the price to perform the test at any walk-in clinic, local pharmacy and at home! Accordingly, you can decide the better place to perform the test. However, it has its own set of risks to draw the blood for cholesterol test. Often blood drawn accompanies with pain at the site of incision, soreness and faint. Very rarely, infection can develop at the site of injection as well.Top of Form
What test result represents?
The unit of cholesterol measurement is milligram (mg) per decilitre (dL). The average ranges in adults are:
- HDL > 40-60 mg/dL
- LDL <70-130 md/dL
- Total cholesterol <200 mg/dL
- Triglycerides <10-150mg/dL
In case there is any number out of the above-mentioned range then you are at risk of atherosclerosis, stroke and heart issues. For abnormal test report, doctor will suggest blood glucose test for the measurement of diabetic level. Sometimes you are asked to undergo thyroid function test for the confirmation of inactivity of thyroid.
Is it possible to obtain wrong results?
Definitely, cholesterol test result may be faulty! The common way to measure LDL often delivers incorrect result.
Other factors lead to inaccurate result comprise of human error, medications and improper fasting. Any minute mistake can lead to false-positive and false-negative report. Hence it is better to test for both LDL and HDL to obtain accurate results over testing only for LDL level.
Treatment and necessary preventive measures
Combination of medication and lifestyle can treat high cholesterol perfectly. The target is to reduce the LDL’s high level in the blood. As a result, you can stay away from numerous blood vessels- and heart-related problems. Other changes which help in controlling the cholesterol level are:
- Stop smoking and reduce the consumption of alcohol.
- During tailoring diet for you cut of excess high-sodium and high-fat foods. Try to eat a lot of whole-grains, fruits and veggies. Ensure that you are having low-fat diary edibles and lean protein sources.
- Exercise intense aerobic activities daily for about 150 minutes along 2 sessions of strengthening of muscles.
- Doctor can provide TLC (therapeutic lifestyle change) diet as well.
You can also consume some foods encouraging keeping the cholesterol level under control. They are:
- Whole grains like barley and oats
- Oranges, pears, bananas and apples
- Okra and eggplant
- Lentils, chickpeas, kidney beans and legumes
You must keep obesity and diabetes under control as they trigger the risk of high level of bad cholesterol.
Remember that you can easily manage high cholesterol level. Just request the doctor to provide a unique treatment plan along with diet for proper level maintenance. Obviously, you have to bring certain changes in daily habits, exercise regime and diet. Your treatment will be composed of cholesterol-lowering medicines. As much as proactive you are regarding your lifestyle as better result, you can achieve in the shortest span of time. That doesn’t mean that the test is not important at all. Book a blood test in London to undergo a cholesterol test and ensure a healthy lifestyle.