Concrete has so far been one of the most popular choices when it comes to the construction of roads, parking lots and other types of facilities. However, these days asphalt paving is fast becoming of the most common and popular options after concrete. In order to know why asphalt paving is superior as opposed to concrete, it is important to get a clear understanding of how asphalt is made of and how it benefits us. Civil asphalt works have become very popular and there are tons of different types of benefits that can be derived out of it as opposed to traditional concrete. They are not only sturdy and durable but at the same time quite cost effective to the pockets as well.
How Asphalt is made?
Quite similar to that of concrete, the aggregate is being used in the process of making asphalt. When parking lots and roads are being constructed using civil asphalt works, hot asphalt is poured on the surface of the aggregate and then with the help of a steamroller, it is pressed. Once the asphalt cools downs, it turns solid and becomes stronger and will be capable of handling the pressure of the traffic. Asphalt is extremely durable and hard, but at the same time, it is quite flexible for accommodating different types of imperfections which might be there on the underlying surfaces. This is one feature that is absent in concrete.
What are the Benefits that Asphalt has to offer?
When it comes to civil asphalt works, there are tons of different types of benefits that can be derived out of it. Here are some of the different benefits that asphalt has to offer.
- Safety to the surface is enormous: The smoothest surfaces for the roads can be created with civil asphalt works. They also offer a higher level of friction that prevents the vehicles from skidding even when the roads are wet. They also help to minimize spray and flash during the stormy monsoons which leads to a reduction of crash occurances on the highways.
- Cost Effective material: It is not only smoother and safer for the roads but also light on the pockets. They are quite cost-effective materials during modern times. The fact that they offer a smooth surface ensures that minimum damage is caused to the vehicles which bring down the operating costs by a great extent. Moreover using civil asphalt works, the roads can be constructed faster than what is used in traditional methods and that too at a much lower expense.
- Energy Efficient and minimal wastage: Smooth roads can be created with the help of civil asphalt works which means the rolling resistance is less. This allows enhanced fuel economy and reduction of the emission of harmful carbon dioxide and other carbon gases. Pavements with special warm mix can be made at a relatively lower temperature which further helps to reduce the energy consumption that is required for the process of construction.
- Traveler Friendly material: This is one of the main benefits that asphalt has to offer. They help to reduce congestion in many ways. Indirectly using this material the construction process of roads and pavements becomes faster and accurate. Hence it saves time and money. The projects undertaken with civil asphalt works can be completed within a very short span of time. So, if you are a traveler then chances is you will never be stuck due to road construction works if such materials are used widely.
- Environment-Friendly: Asphalt is very environment-friendly and unlike tar; it doesn’t emit the harmful carbon dioxide. Besides, asphalt can be recycled and reused.
Use this material if you are someone who believes in one time investment. These are strong and durable material and lasts for a long period of time. Roads made of asphalt rarely have any sort of damages even under the most adverse of conditions.