Spices are found in almost all homes. A kitchen is deemed incomplete without the presence of spices. Spice extract is invaluable part of any cuisine. Spices enhance the flavour of the food. Some spices are used in perfumes, natural remedies and even in weapons. Below we list five uses of spices beyond the kitchen.
- Natural skin remedies - Numerous spices have been used since decades for their health benefits. Chilies for example have anti-inflammatory properties. This plant extract makes way as an ingredient in body balms and creams. Studies also proved that pepper is effective in controlling muscular pains because it numbs the pain receptors. Similarly, menthol that is present in mint leaves soothes the pain areas in the body. Rubbing a little chili or menthol oil on your feet or on sore parts of the body ca relieve pain to a great extent. Cinnamon oil is also a good remedy to get relief from pain especially toothache and headaches.
- Aromatherapy - Spices are also used in making candles. You can melt old candles and mix the molten wax with cinnamon, clove, vanilla, rosemary or other spices. You can also make the home ambience calm and soothing by boiling a few spices like cinnamon sticks, cloves and orange peels in water. The smell of this soothes the home atmosphere.
- Repels insects - Spices and herbal extracts with strong scents can repel insects and bugs. Some of these spices include cedar wood, lemongrass and peppermint. Spices can also repel ants when put over their trails. Any powdered pepper, bay leaves, oregano, peppermint, cloves or cinnamon can act as a good ant repellent.
- Deodorizing - Spices are not only used in culinary preparations but are also used to get rid of unpleasant odours. It acts as a room freshener when powdered spices, filled in small sachets are out in the wardrobes or in the room. You can also use this to clean the microwave oven or to remove the smell of burnt food from the oven. You can put some water in a microwave-safe bowl, add a spice of your choice, and boil the water. Let the bowl sit inside the oven for a few minutes. Wipe the walls of the oven with this water.
- Adornments - Some spices are bold and bright in colours. This can be used by children for making art and craft items and in their school projects. However, be sure to keep any eye on them so that do not put the spices or the hands after using these spices in their eyes. Jars filled with spices can be used to adorn the kitchen walls. You can also place the spices in a jar bowl, fill it with water, put floating candles on it, and use it as home décor.
With so many uses of spices, you can sure stock a few of them in the home. Spices last very long so you do not have to worry about them being rotten.