EPF is The Employees' Provident Fund (EPF). It is a savings scheme and is government-run. It is managed under the Ministry of Labour and employment. The EPF scheme aids in the promotion of savings post-retirement. It supports employees all over the country. It is a collection of 12% of the employee's salary (basic+ dearness allowance). This collection/saving will earn a level of interest. Post-retirement the employee can withdraw the entire original savings amount along with the interest without having to pay any tax. The savings can also be withdrawn by the employee's legal heir post-death. It is a very essential scheme promoting financial safety post requirement for employees and their family.
An employee can become a member of this scheme by registering himself in the government website Employee Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO). The website will guide how to become a member and one has to be active in their savings. A registered employee will get Universal Account Number (UAN) which can be used to login in the future.
EPF passbook is a book which logs all the details of an employee regarding EPF. The savings made by the employee every month is mentioned in detail in the EPF passbook. The EPF passbook contains important information and details like establishment ID and name, member ID and name, office name and branch, employee’s share, employer’s share, EPS savings and interest.
A member can download his/her EPF passbook from the EPF passbook website under EPFO.
- Click on the ‘Establishment Registration’ which has an ‘Instruction
- Manual’. It will guide the process of Employer Registration and also registration of DSC [Digital Signature Certificate] of the Employer which required for new application submission.
- Click the ‘I have read the instruction manual’ tick box to proceed further and fill in the details cautiously and register
- After which an email e-link is sent along with and mobile PIN for activation. The employee has to upload certain documents to register
- And then go to the member website of EPF i.e. EPF e-SEWA/EPF Members Portal
- On the right corner below, click on the option of ‘Activate UAN’ and then give the required details like name, age, sex, Adhar number, PAN card number etc and other details as Name, Birthdate, sex etc
- After entering the ‘captcha’ code and an authorization PIN will be sent on the registered mobile with EPFO
- The One Time Password (OTP) can be used to activate the UAN online
- The confirmation of UAN activation will be sent to the registered mobile number
- Henceforth UAN can be used to login in the EPF website
The EPF passbook will be
availed after 6 hours of registering in the portal. An employee can log in
using his/her UAN and download his/her passbook by clicking ‘Select Member ID
to View Passbook” section and clicking on the EPF Member ID. And then the EPF passbook will open in a
pdf format the next tab.
This passbook can be downloaded online and then and then printed.