You all have heard the proverb that a healthy mind fits in a healthy body. These days with increasing workload and peer pressure, people concentrate more on a healthy lifestyle and healthy body. As a result, people consider getting over their sedentary lifestyle and taking the essential nutrients into their daily diet. For these probiotics, collagen and omega 3 supplements like substances are becoming quite famous in the market. Hence, this article will assist you in going through these supplements, their uses, and if any harm is entitled while taking them.
What is collagen?
The most abundant protein (about one-third of the proteins) in your body is collagen. Collagen is a complex, insoluble, and fibrous protein in which the molecules are tightly packed together to form thin, long fibrils. Several body parts and connective tissues such as ligaments, skin, tendons, muscles have collagen as their principal component. There are mainly four types of collagen, where type I constitutes 90% of the total collagen present.
But, now, as you age, your body starts producing low-quality collagen and even in fewer amounts. As a result, the structural integrity of your skin will decline, wrinkles will form, and your joint cartilage will become weak. For this, collagen supplements (present as powders, capsules, or liquids) are becoming famous in a market where they are hydrolyzed so that you can take them easily. Also, there are foods like pork skin and bone broth that increase your collagen intake.
Now, what are the benefits or information regarding using collagen supplements?
1. Improve skin condition- Collagen supplements can help you fill out skin depressions and make the skin smoother. It removes wrinkles and lines from the face too. It increases skin elasticity and hydration.
2. Relieves joint pain- Collagen supplement helps to maintain your cartilage integrity and reduces the chances of osteoarthritis. They make your bones denser and decrease the bone aging process.
3. Increased muscle mass and wound dressing- It is seen that collagen and peptide supplements help in strengthening muscle mass and decrease the chances of sarcopenia. Also, research shows that these supplements can heal granulating wounds, necrotic wounds, second-degree burn wounds, and skin graft wounds.
Though the side effects are pretty mild, you should always consult your doctor before taking one while taking collagen supplements. Side effects include heaviness, heartburn sensation, lingering unpleasant taste, and allergic reactions.
What are probiotics?
When the word bacteria comes into your mind, you may always think of the microorganisms which harm and cause diseases. But wait, you should also know a set of 'good' bacteria present in millions in your gut flora and help massively in your digestion and absorption process. Your gut has about 10 pounds of microbes consisting of bacteria, yeasts, protozoa, and viruses. These good bacteria are termed probiotics, help digest your food, create vitamins, break down and absorb medications, decrease the risk of cancers, etc. The main probiotics include lactobacillus, bifidobacterium, and saccharomyces boulardii.
Now just like vitamins, there is probiotic supplement too present in the market. This provides extra help to gut flora and acts as an aid to already existing microbes. They also help in the quick fixing of various ailments and come in drinks, capsules, pills, powders, liquids, etc. Probiotic supplements, maybe sometimes combined with complex carbohydrates known as prebiotic, feed your gut's microorganisms.
Now, what are the benefits or information regarding using probiotic supplements?
1. Treat bowel disorders- Probiotic supplements have been seen to help in dealing with inflammatory bowel diseases (Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis) and also irritable bowel syndrome. These help in stomach pain, bloating, diarrhea, and constipation-like symptoms.
2. Yeast infections and Urinary tract infections- These supplements act on the urinary tract and prevent the growth of harmful microbes there. Also, it fights against yeast infections like candidiasis and thrush.
3. Preventing colorectal cancer- Through model studies and researches, it is seen that probiotic supplements help in preventing and treating colorectal cancers. It acts by inactivating cancerogenic compounds, alternating intestinal microflora, inhibiting tyrosine kinase, and improving the host immune system.
Sometimes though probiotic supplements can trigger allergic reactions and infections, generally, it's considered safe due to the presence of microbes naturally in the body.
What are omega 3 fatty acids?
Omega 3s or Omega 3 fatty acids are kinds of fat found in different seafood and the human body. Two main types of omega 3s are eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid, along with Alpha linoleic acid. Studies show that Omega 3s helps deal with cardiovascular function and are quite essential in your daily diet.
But, many people don't like fish or are allergic to them. Also, many people don't live near the seaside and face trouble obtaining kinds of seafood. In such cases, omega 3 supplements come as a relief and provide that essential nutrient in their everyday diet.
Now, what are the benefits or information regarding using Omega 3 supplements?
1. Heart functioning and heart rhythm- Omega 3 supplements help in lowering your blood pressure and treat hypertension. Also, this helps reduce the chances of heart attack and abnormal heart rhythm. It decreases the formation of plaques in arteries.
2. Brain health during pregnancy and eyesight- Supplements having DHA help in better functioning of brain-like higher intelligence, communication skills during a child's early life. Also, DHA present in the retina of the eye can improve your eyesight.
3. Fight anxiety- People taking omega 3 supplements are seeming to suffer less from depression and anxiety disorders. EPA present in them acts as an antidepressant drug. Also, they decrease frequent mood swings and relapses.
These supplements usually produce very mild symptoms. However, it might influence the risk of prostate cancer and blood clotting allergies in few individuals.
So you can see the various essential components such as collagen, probiotics, and Omega 3s present in your body and how they are beneficial for your health. Also, you see the associated supplements with them and their importance. But always remember to discuss with your doctor before taking any supplements, as every individual has their unique gut flora and allergy reactions.