What are PP Sheets?
Polypropylene or PP sheets are thermoplastic “addition polymer,” which the Polypropylene sheet manufacturer make by combining propylene monomers. The sheet has its usages in various applications, right from packaging consumer products to manufacturing of various special devices and textiles. The Polypropylene sheets were first polymerized in 1951 by two Phillips petroleum scientists, Paul Hogan and Robert Banks and later on by the Italian and German scientists Natta and Rehn.
The sheets became extremely popular, and commercial production began faster with three years of polymerization by Italian scientist Natta. By 1957, these sheets saw a widespread explosion, and commercial production began across Europe. Today, it is one of the most common and highly manufactured varieties of plastics in the world.
PP sheets possess an outstanding combination of physical, chemical, electrical, thermal and mechanical properties that other thermoplastic materials lack. Polypropylene sheets have lower impact strength and superior working temperature and tensile strength than polyethylene.
Key Features of Polypropylene Sheets
Enlisted are some of the significant features of Polypropylene sheets:
Polypropylene sheets are highly chemical resistant than polyethylene or regular plastics and resist most organic solvents, acids and alkaline. The material does not get affected by the diluted acids and bases. Hence, it is a good choice for storing liquids such as cleaning agents and first-aid products. However, the material is susceptible to attack from oxidizing acids, chlorinated hydrocarbons and aromatics.
The structure of PP sheets offers a better tensile strength of about 400 psi. Despite the material being lightweight, the high tensile strength allows the material to withstand fairly heavy loads.
Elasticity and Toughness
Similar to other materials, polypropylene acts with elasticity over a certain range of deflection. It also experiences plastic deformation early on in the deformation process, and hence polypropylene sheets are generally considered “tough.” However, toughness is an engineering term, which defines a material’s ability to deform without causing any breakage.
Although manufacturers can produce transparent polypropylene sheets, naturally, these are opaque in color. You can use the sheets in places that require a transfer of light, or it requires some aesthetic value.
Other Key Features Possessed By Our PP Sheets
Our PP sheets possess the following qualities:
· Completely recyclable and free from toxic emissions
· Will never mold or start rotting
· Low moisture absorption
· Strong and durable
· Great heat and fatigue resistant
· Higher scratch resistance
PP Sheets: Advantages
The following are advantages of PP sheets:
· Polypropylene has several benefits, making it a popular material for manufacturers who apply the materials to several uses. Enlisted are some of the advantages of the material:
· Since polypropylene reacts with acids, it makes it the ideal material for containers for storing acidic liquids, such as cleaning agents.
· The material is highly resistant to corrosion and chemical leaking, making it an excellent material for pipes. Moreover, the plastic is resistant to freezing. Hence climatic conditions are not an issue with the material.
· The material turns into liquid at its melting point, and in the same form, you can mold it into any desired shape. One can perform the process several times without degrading the plastic.
· It does not conduct electricity, and hence it is classified as an insulator. This property made the material excellent for manufacturers to use in electrical components, such as cables and audio equipment.
· Moreover, polypropylene is highly impermeable and absorbs less than 0.01% of water when soaked in it. This property of the material makes it a perfect product that requires submerging in liquids or those that require waterproofing.
· Since polypropylene is malleable, one can make it into a living hinge. It is a material that would bend without breaking even after repetitive bending.
Applications of PP Sheets
Flexible and Rigid Packaging
Polypropylene comes with several packaging applications of which you might not be aware. The flexibility of polypropylene replaces cellophane, paper and other metals due to its superior properties and lower pricing. Food and confectionaries, tobacco and clothing industries use polypropylene film for flexible packaging.
For rigid packaging, polypropylene has usages in several sectors, such as caps and closures to pallets, crates, just-in-time storage solutions, bottles and jars for packaging and thin-walled containers.
The fashion and Sports Industry
Polypropylene is a good choice for making outdoor equipment and accessories. One of the major applications is in the manufacturing of tote bags and cynch bags. These bags are waterproof, resilient sturdy and durable, reusable and lightweight. You can personalize them with graphics, logos and amazing colors. Apart from these, modern designers are making contemporary jewelry from the PP sheets.
You can find the use of polypropylene in laboratories that uses plastic in all forms and purposes. One of the most common and known medical applications is synthetic and non-absorbable sutures. Surgeons use the material in prolapse repair operations.
We use polypropylene in our everyday life. We find the material in housewares, furniture, toys and luggage. Most of the carpets, mats and rugs we use in our everyday life contain polypropylene. Due to its durability and colorfastness, the material is suitable for bright and resilient carpets with greater resistance and keeps their colors fresh and vibrant for several years. Upholstery and molded polypropylene form an important ingredient in making both indoor and outdoor furniture. As the material is resistant to heat, oils, solvents, molds and bacteria, it represents a great choice for microwave food containers, dishwasher pods and other kitchen items. Most of the bottles, jars and food containers we see and use every day are made from polypropylene.
Singhal Industries Pvt. Ltd. is one of the leading PP sheet manufacturers and exporters. Both the domestic and commercial applications use our manufactures PP Sheets Boards with a surface that makes the cutting blades easy to glide on and cut them. The Polypropylene sheets have a high impact possessing the combination of the material-cut feature. Most die-cutters and cutting machines, roller presses, automatic and semi-automatic cutting presses and other wrapping applications. Being one of the most prominent PP sheet manufacturers, we strive to offer perfect quality that fulfills your requirements.