The spring mattresses once became a popular household product, especially in homes with the elderly people. However, with the advent of new forms of mattresses like foam and hybrid, spring mattresses will soon become extinct.
Relax, that will never happen as spring mattress come with their own set of benefits and disadvantages. Besides, a section of people who will always prefer the use of spring mattresses to the other types and will purchase spring mattress online. However, one needs to know the details before you buy spring mattress online.
What is a spring mattress?
Yes, these mattresses contains springs. The springs, often called mattress coils, which the manufacturers primarily use at the core of innerspring mattresses. Unlike the memory foam mattresses, the spring mattresses doesn’t adjust to the body heat unless topped with a layer of memory foam. The top layer is the comfort layer, and the underneath layer is the support layer or the ‘core’.
Types of Springs Used
One can find a variety of springs or coils used in the spring mattresses and each type serves a specific purpose.
· Some mattresses consists of Continuous coils, where the different rows of springs in the mattress are formed from a single long piece of wire.
· Bonnell coils are the oldest and most commonly used coils, adapted from the horse carriage seats of the 19th century. If someone is looking for mid-priced mattresses, they can find the bonnell springs attached to them. These are hourglass-shaped steel wire coils with rounded tops.
· Offset coils are also hourglass-shaped coils with their flattened top and bottom convulsions. Manufacturers hinges these flat segments while assembling, which helps the entire structure conformed to the body shape.
· Marshall coils, also known as pocket springs, are barrel shaped and thin gauged coils that are encased in individual pockets. The springs are not wired together and hence work independently. Hence, the weight on one of the springs doesn’t affects the neighbors.
The Pros and Cons
· Generally, the spring mattresses come in low cost. However, the price of the innerspring mattresses have fallen as very few people use them. Hence, if a person has strict budget, then this mattress is the best choice.
· Since spring mattresses existed in the market for a long time, they are consumer friendly. People know the products well and with the introduction of new technologies in the spring mattresses, will be readily accepted by the people.
· Spring mattresses have longer durability compared to others because of the perfection in construction. Besides, it goes on to offer the same comfort for several years.
· The factor circulation plays a great role in better sleep. Spring mattresses offer better circulation as they have considerable amount of space between them, which allows easy ventilation. Better circulation of air prevents accumulation of body heat and promotes better sleep.Spring mattresses offer better circulation as they have considerable amount of space between them, which allows easy ventilation. Better circulation of air prevents accumulation of body heat and promotes better sleep.
· Spring mattresses might wear faster as the springs starts to lose support and the paddling gets compressed.
· The structure of the mattress is hard to set up as they are very heavy. Taking the mattress outside to air it or clean it becomes difficult.
· The underlying layers of the mattress comprise of wool and fiber, which provides it suitable environment for the growth of dust mites.