A basement provides major benefits for both – a residential and a commercial space. However, constructing a basement is not a simple task. There are several kinds of basements that can go well with your house. Only professional basement builders can help determine the right design for a given space. Also, a legal permit is required to build basements. To avoid any hassle, it is essential to choose the exemplary basement construction service.
The selection process
The essential questions to ask
Online ratings and reviews can help narrow down the search for good basement builders. To know whether a particular service is trustworthy, here are a few points that should be there in your check-list.
- The number of years since the inception
The number of years of experience the company has had till date. Naturally, the more the exposure, the better would be the quality of service. Experts would recommend going with any company that has at least five years of experience.
A licensed company
No company can offer basement construction services without carrying a license for the same. A valid paper work indicates that the company has a full understanding of the building process and can be trusted with their work. Always confirm whether the basement builders have the necessary licenses to operate in the locality.
- Regular construction company or specializes in basements
Some construction companies offer basement construction services, while others provide specialized basement services. If the client can afford it, it is advisable to choose a technical one because they have the best knowledge of basement remodeling and construction.
- Proof of insurance
Basement builders carry some amount of risk. There are chances of you facing unwanted situations. Should any untoward incident occur; the client will not be held responsible if the builder is insured. Request the builder for proof of insurance before drawing a contract.
- Look at the past sites and work
It is recommended to look at the past sites where the basement builders have constructed or remodelled. This will give the client a clear idea of the company’s work style and quality of service. It is also an opportunity to interact with the company’s past clients. Check if they are satisfied with the outcome. How was their experience?
The list may seem like too much work. However, these efforts will be paid off in the end when the client chooses the best basement builders, thanks to the thorough background research.
The types of basement construction
After looking at the site, the basement builders will be able to suggest a suitable basement model. Here are some of the popular types in use.
- Precast panels – This model is recommended when there is no space or time for construction at the site. The walls needed for the basement are made elsewhere maybe in a warehouse of some other huge space around your house. Then, they are transported and installed at the client’s site. Precast panels are strong and water-resistant.
- Poured concrete basement – This type of basement is healthy and involves simple construction. Thus, it is the most preferred type. The builders start by running the footing to make the foundation for the basement. Forms hold the poured wall firmly.
- Concrete block walls – This type of basement is best suited for clients in urgent need of the cellar. It is the most budget-friendly option too. Basement builders use cinder blocks to build the walls. Steel bars add extra strength to the walls. Concrete block walls can give way to water leaks more quickly than other types.
The Final Word
The entire building stands in the basement. Therefore, sub-par work can potentially affect the entire property. Hence, it is advised to spend adequate time on research before signing a contract.