Broadly speaking, these muscles all together work to bend your knees and shift your thigh back. Besides, it also helps you in activities like running, walking, and jumping.
The hamstring curl, also known as a leg curl, is an exercise that makes the hamstring muscles stronger. It encompasses bending your knees while shifting your heels toward your glutesand keeping your body still.
Usually, this exercise is done on a machine specially designed for doing hamstring exercise- a leg curl machine.
But there are other forms of exercises that you can do to train your hamstring muscles provided you aren’t comfortable using the leg curl machine in your gym, says a qualified and professional personal trainer with fitness certification.
In order to perform different variations of hamstring exercise all you need is your own body weight or some simple to use the equipment.
What are the benefits of performing hamstring curl exercise?
Here are some of the benefits that you can leverage while performing the hamstring curl exercise:
- While doing a hamstring curl, your rear thigh muscles get engaged to lift your lower leg. This movement involves your hamstrings and butt, which will strengthen them.
- When you include hamstring curl in your workout regimen, it will strengthen your hamstring muscles thereby making you less vulnerable to unexpected injuries because it helpsyou stabilize your knees.
- It stretches your quad muscles, which in turn relieve quad stiffness and back discomfort.
Note: Please do seek the professional assistance provided you are new to the exercise. It is quite important to know the right form of the exercise before you decide to include it in your workout regimen.
Things you need to bear in the mind:
Let’s have a glimpse at some of the things you need to bear in mind before you decide to do the hamstring curl exercise:
- It’s quite imperative to keep your spine straight while performing hamstring curls. If you will be arching your lower back, then it will negate the effect of the exercise you are trying to do. Instead of your hamstring muscles, your lower back will get engaged which in turn can trigger pain and discomfort.
- In order to prevent your lower back muscles getting engaged, make sure you squeeze your abdominal muscles while performing the exercise. Squeezing your core muscles will allow you to keep your spine neutral. The only thing that you should bend is your knees.
- It is advisable to not to rush while performing the exercise. Try to make the move slowly in a controlled manner while feeling the hamstring muscles from getting engaged.
- In case, you are feeling pain in your joints after performing the hamstring curls then we would suggest you discontinue the exercise immediately and the seek the assistance of a qualified personal trainer with the fitness certification.