The process of becoming a professional security officer takes approximately three months. This also considers getting a license that allows you to work as a security officer. Nonetheless, becoming a security guard takes more than just applying for a license. Alert Patrol will dedicate today`s article to explaining the steps and requirements it takes to become a high-qualified security officer.
These are essential conditions to become a security guard officer in the U.S :
- must be a U.S citizen or legal U.S resident with social security number
- being at least 18 years old
- submit fingerprints
- encounter training which considers 40 hours course
- obtain certificate
Becoming an armed security officer means obtaining a D-class license along with a G-class certificate and that considers the following:
- being at least 21 years old
- must apply an application with the division
- submit fingerprint on FBI fingerprint card
- must not have any legal problems, or be convinced of a felony or any criminal deeds
- must complete a firearm training program which considers 28-hour hours
There is no general education considering security officers bue most security agencies require at least a high school diploma as a minimum. Following a certain level of education, an adequate training program is requisite.
The first step is to undergo the required training program. A class D license considers a primary level of training. This category requires at least 40 hours of professional training. The D license appraises unarmed security with knowledge of legal issues, laws, emergency procedures, and patrolling protocols.
Training school covers all the duties of a security guard and instructions related to this job. This includes:
- Hospital security - emergency control, patients, visitors, and employee service and traffic control
- Bank security - training to notice potential criminals, handle offenders, protect bank information, employees, clients, and assets
- Hotel security - protecting customers and hotel properties
- X-ray screening - training on working on x-ray machines in airports, passenger control
- Special events security - safety protocols related to events
- Cash in transit (CIT) - protocols related to cash and valuable items transport
- Security management training - this considers learning state laws for civilians and criminals, state security regulations, their responsibilities, etc.
Occupational Health and safety training (OHS)
- First Aid
- Health and safety in a workplace
- Safety management
- Undertaking conflicts
- Safety evacuation protocols in cases of fire or floods
- Controlling the substances that present health danger
- Prevention of infections
General Security training includes:
- Traffic management
- Control room with CCTV equipment
- training for an operation supervisor
- safety protocols for gas and oil facilities
- how to be visibly present to discourage potential lawbreakers
- course on detecting and restraining offenders
- emergency procedures and safety protocols
- escorting approaches and techniques
- chacking personal baggage and vehicles luggage
- communication with collages and people in the workplace
- making priorities and quickie deciding
- estimate of potential threats and adequate reaction
Besides the technical side of the training program, participants also gain knowledge on how to compose different types of reports such as shift reports, inspections, accidents and incidence reports, customer complaints reports, alert responses, and other relevant reports.
Modern training programs include a program of learning about the latest security technologies. This enables candidates to get acquainted with new devices, tools, and equipment for surveillance and security.
Once that candidate has successfully accomplished the training course, future security officers will get the certification which stands that they had adequate training. It usually takes up to 10 days to receive a certificate once you have finished the training.
Once a candidate has gotten their certificate, he can apply for the license. Besides the certificate, the applicant must submit other required documentation. It usually takes about two months for issuing a license and after that person has the authorization to perform the job of a security officer. With a license, you are qualified to start your security guard career.
Active police officers who want to work as a security guard doesn`t have to register or undergo training. However, former or retired police deputies have to register but only if they have been professionally inactive for more than ten years.
4. Annual training
After becoming a professional security officer it is required to complete 8-hours of training each year. This practice is called 8-Hours Annual In-Service Training Course and it's required for holding security registration. Failing to complete this course results in losing the security officer license.
Ensuring the qualities and competencies of security officers licensing is crucial. Without the time of preparation and certificates that guarantee the capabilities of the officers to provide their jib, anyone cloud work as a security officer. Therefore, adequate training and evaluation of skills and abilities are crucial. However, as technology and industry change, the requirements to use contemporary equipment and security techniques emerge. Constant physical training and education about surveillance technology make professional officers valuable and highly qualified. Tech-savvy security officers have become necessitate part of standard security. This new dimension of security has expanded the domain of traditional security, requiring the knowledge of new regulations.