Roller conveyor systems are serving as very important tools in the materials handling industries in current times. It is used for the purpose of sliding and pushing the load, accumulating materials etc. There are different kinds of roller conveyors, namely chain, belt, shaft etc., and are made up of steel, galvanized, or plastic. Most of the industries prefer to use roller conveyors for their daily use. Now, roller conveyors are either power operated or gravity operated. Without the help of roller conveyors, material handling companies would have had a hard time, moving the materials from one place to another.
Using any kind of a roller conveyor system will definitely help your business to save time and efforts in moving the products on a daily basis. This, in turn, helps to improve the productivity and efficiency. So, thanks to their efficiency in moving loads safely, without the need of motor power or man power, gravity conveyor systems are becoming highly popular. They have found their use in various industries like mining, agriculture, food processing, automotive, electronic, chemical, printing, packaging, and even more. Though, gravity conveyor systems are a bit pricier, they have fewer limitations as to what they can carry, including uneven, rimmed, or open bottoms. So, it’s time you invest in a gravity roller conveyor from Wainwright for your business. They are a well trusted and reputed company offering great quality materials handling equipment at the best prices.
Factors to consider while choosing a gravity conveyor system
Gravity conveyors are used to transport loads such as raw materials, cartons, bags, skids etc. Most commonly, they are used in the shipping industry, i.e. in stocking areas, warehouses, assembling lines, distribution centres etc. They are quite economical, and require a minimum amount of maintenance. They come in various sizes and configurations. You can take your pick by keeping the following factors in mind:
- Size/weight: The first thing that you need to note is the size and weight of the smallest and the largest kind of package that shall be placed on the conveyor unit for transportation. This will in turn help to determine the subsequent information, like spacing between the rollers, the diameter of the roller, the types of frame used, or floor supports etc.
- Axle centre: There should always be at least three conveyor rollers in contact with the load, material handled at all times. The axle centre i.e. the distance between the two roller centres should be kept less as this prevents the load from rocking back and forth. Also, they help to reduce the load on each individual roller.
- Roller diameter: The roller diameter is decided by the amount of load the rollers need to support. Smaller diameter rollers are priced much lesser than the bigger diameter ones, but they support lesser weight. So, if you have a requirement of handling heavier loads, you need to go for larger rollers.
- Between frame width (BF): This is defined as the distance between the two conveyor rails, when it’s measured from inside. The BF is determined by the addition of extra 2 inches to the width of the largest package that’s going to be transported. Also, curves help to determine the BF as packages need greater space to travel around a curve than they will need while travelling in a straight line.
- Type of frame: The next thing to decide is the types of the conveyor frame. The frame must be such that it’s capable of support both the weight of the conveyed items as well as that of the conveyor itself. Aluminium frames are much lighter and easier to set-up, but they can hold lesser weight than a steel frame. Steel frames are much more affordable and durable than aluminium frames. So, if you want lightweight manoeuvrability, go for aluminium and if you want strength, go for steel.
So, these were the main things that you need to consider before you select the correct gravity roller system for your business. There are various sizes and configurations available, so instead of getting overwhelmed, choose the specifications as per your requirements.