Have you ever dreamed of becoming the next tech giant in the U.S.? Starting a software company is the first step towards success in the tech industry.
If you want to start a software company in the U.S., you will need a business plan, feasibility, and legal structure before executing it.
Determining the Scale of Your Software Company
It is important to determine the scale and legal structure of your business. Since most people are not familiar with the legal terms, here are some common business structures depending on the scale and ownership.
- Sole Proprietorship: It is a business managed by a single person who also is personally responsible for its debts. Therefore, it is very popular among entrepreneurs with limited resources. If your software business lies within this business structure, you will have less paperwork to do; but as a handicap, this structure has its options limited due to the financial risks involved, for example, in hiring someone. However, many entrepreneurs opt to externalize software services to an existing, experienced team and avoid such commitment, while enjoying flexibility and good professionals that the entrepreneur only pays when he or she needs them.
- Limited Liability Company: It is the simplest solution for small-scale business owners who do not need to expand their business to a large scale in the near future. Its main advantage is that owners are not personally liable for the company's debts or liabilities.
- Corporation: If you expect a fast and immense growth, with corporations it is usually easier to get investments since you are allowed to sell stocks to raise capital. But at the same time, they are expensive to run because of taxations and overhead costs.
Making a Business Plan for a Software Company
Proceeding towards making your software company without a business plan will not be viable at any cost. Regardless of the business structure of your company, you will have to follow the steps required to start your business.
- Market Research: Are there enough customers/buyers/consumers/clients for your product or services? Make sure to target a sufficient market segment in order to get sustainable revenue. In the software sector, this is done thanks to a minimum viable product that you will test with some people within your target customers group to get feedback about your idea.
- Competitor Research: At the start, a software company in the U.S. will face cutthroat competition as there are already thousands of companies registered, competing with each other. Check their prices and the depth of their services. Answer questions like “Do they charge for the support service?” and “To which extend does customization go?”
- Marketing Planning: First, you need to define if you are going to target people or businesses. In both cases, customer acquisition costs are one of the significant hits to the budget of small-scale software companies. You should make a foolproof marketing plan that is able to get leads at the least cost. It is also important to plan your customer support service because it will be essential to make your clients continue with you in the long-term.
- Financial Planning: If you want your software company to succeed in the long run, financial planning is crucial. Ensure that you have enough funding to run the business in upcoming years.
- Software Companies Specific Planning: As a software company, it is important that you do a proof of principle so that you can be sure your idea is viable and even show it to your funders.
Legal Requirements for a Software Company in the U.S.
Registering the Software Company in the U.S.
To start the business formally, you will need an official name for the software company in the U.S. For that, DBA registration is necessary.
Other legal aspects to keep in mind:
- Choose an original brand name that does not already belong to someone else.
- Check your tax-related responsibilities (If you can move, some states like Wyoming, Alaska, or South Dakota may be more convenient in this sense).
- Set up a bank account.
- Check the data protection responsibilities that the company and the software have to observe.
- The satisfactory manner to contain a software program business enterprise withinside the US is to request a session with a US-primarily based totally legal professional. Start with the aid of using searching for an legal professional withinside the nation in which you intend to lease your US-primarily based totally income manager. Answering this query in complete with out understanding loads of enterprise info will result in an faulty solution on your business enterprise's unique needs. Therefore, a session is satisfactory to gain a complete response. During the session you'll be requested approximately the prevailing enterprise, the centered states for transacting enterprise, any proposed region on your income manager(s) and different enterprise sports withinside the US. Other variables concerned in answering your query consist of tax implications, present and anticipated sales and gross profits, anticipated personnel over the subsequent 12 months withinside the US, and a slew of different info. Once an incorporation nation is elected, an legal professional can help you have chose a enterprise entity kind and possession shape maximum useful in your enterprise needs.