How to Make Macarons Cookies and Cream?
Macarons are one of the most loved cookies. They are lightweight and crunchy. Macarons can be prepared in a wide range of flavors and colors. This makes them attractive for the consumers. Macaron consists of two layers of biscuits which sandwich a cream inside. The filling can be of anything like jam, chocolate, caramel or a frosting like a buttercream. It is a very elegant dessert. Therefore it is packed is specially designed Macaron boxes to keep them safe. Special care and practice are required to make them perfect. That is the reason why they are a bit expensive in bakeries. You can also make them at home by following some simple steps.
Recipe for Macaron Cookies
• 1 ¾ cups powdered sugar
• 1 cup finely ground almond flour
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 3 egg whites (at room temperature)
• ¼ cup granulated sugar
• ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 drops pink food color
• 30 Macarons
• Preparation time: 1 hour
• Baking time: 17 minutes
1. Take the bowl of a food processor. Mix the powdered sugar, almond flour and a pinch of salt. Process the mixture on a low speed to make it fine. Sift the whole mixture through a fine-mesh strainer to a large bowl. 2. Take another bowl, and beat the egg whites in it. Add the granulated sugar slowly and beat until both of them gets fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and food color as well. Continue beating till the mixture combines.
3. Now add 1/3rd of the sifted almond flour mixture in the beaten egg whites. Use a spoon to fold the mixture. Keep on adding the remaining flour mixture. Continue to blend unless the batter feels like ribbons when you hold the spatula up.
4. Now add 2 drops of pink food color to the whole mixture. If you want to make different colored Macarons then separate the mixture in parts and add different food color to each portion.
5. Shift the macaron batter to a piping bag. The piping bag should be fitted with a rounded tip. Put four little dots of the batter at each corner of the baking sheet. Place parchment paper above it. The batter will make the parchment paper to stick to the baking sheet.
6. Pipe the macaron mixture to the parchment paper in circles. The circles should be of 3 cm in dimension. Leave a space of about one an inch in between the circles. This will prevent the cookies from combining with one another.
7. Let the mixture in baking sheet sit at room temperature for about 30 to 45 minutes. Do not start baking till the Macarons get dry to touch. Preheat the oven up to 150˚C or 300˚F. Bake the Macarons for 17 minutes. Make sure that they do not stick to the parchment paper. Put them out to a wire rack for cooling. Do not fill the Macarons till they cool completely. You can place them in a Macaron box until your cream gets prepared.
Preparation of Cream
As mentioned earlier, you can use any type of filling for your Macarons. The most commonly used is vanilla buttercream. It can match with any type of Macarons, giving a perfect taste.
Ingredients for vanilla Butter Cream:
• 1 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
• 3 cups powdered sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 3 tablespoons heavy cream
1. Take a large bowl. Add butter in it and beat the mixture for a minute until it gets fluffy. Mix the powdered sugar in it. Beat again to combine the ingredients. Add vanilla extract as well. Continue to beat at a medium speed.
2. Continue adding a spoonful of cream one by one. Beat the mixture to obtain the desired consistency. Your buttercream is ready. Transfer it to a piping bag which has a rounded tip.
3. Add a spoon full of buttercream in the center of the macaron shell. Put another macaron shell over it to create a sandwich. Repeat the process with remaining Macarons.
Your delicious Macarons are ready. Refer to the following video step by step process to make Macarons cookies and cream. Pack them in a macaron box. Beautifully designed macaron boxes add to the beauty of the delight. You can purchase Macaron boxes wholesale from any local supplier or from online manufacturers.
• Never overbeat the egg whites. This will result in introducing more air and creating a hollow cookie.
• Place the buttercream for a day in an airtight container. This will make it "bloom".
• The use of sugar syrup instead of powdered syrup can give more consistency to the mixture.
• The use of parchment paper or non-stick foil prevents the Macarons from breaking or sticking to the baking sheet.
• You can also use a scoop rather than a piping bag to pour the Macaron batter on the baking pan. Tap the baking sheet a few times on a flat surface. This will remove the air bubbles if any.