When it comes to acing the Maths exam, it is important to have a regular study routine for your child to ensure they are able to grasp each topic easily, without any problems. Maths is one such subject when you cannot simply memorize the answers. Understanding the whole concept and being able to solve it is mandatory to score well.
While you are making sure your child doesn’t skip any chapter, it is also necessary to take note of all the important chapters and subchapters to ensure that you can fetch your child extra marks. There are always a few chapters or sub-chapters that will surely come in the exam. So, making sure that you put some extra effort there is vital. Read ahead to know more.
Syllabus and Important Topics for Class 6
Topic 1: Knowing Numbers
This is usually the first chapter when you open the textbook and is quite easy. You can also go through NCERT maths book class 6 chapter 1 solutions. NCERT is the best book if you want your child to understand the concepts more in-depth. Generally, 2 marks come from this chapter. Some of the important topics are;
1. Comparing and Ordering Numbers
2. Indian Number System and International System of Numeration
3. Mathematical Operations for Large Numbers
4. How to use brackets to simplify calculations
5. Conversion between Hindu-Arabic and Roman Numerals
Topic 2: Playing With Numbers
This is a very important chapter and several questions come from this chapter. Knowing the basic concept of factors and multiples is essential. Some of the most important topics here are;
1. Finding Factors and Multiples
2. Prime numbers and Composite Numbers
3. Common Factors and Common Multiples
4. Divisibility of a Number by numbers 5 and 10
5. Divisibility of a Number by numbers 2, 4 and 8
6. Divisibility of a Number by numbers 3 and 9
7. Prime Factorisation of Numbers
Topic 3: Whole Numbers
Again, this chapter too is quite easy to learn and can be fun. This chapter also can fetch about 2 marks. Some of the important topics here are;
1. Mathematical Operations on Number Line
2. Distributive Property of Whole Numbers, Multiplication over Addition
3. Recognising Additive and Multiplicative Identities for Whole Numbers
Topic 4: Integers
Integers is an important chapter and offer moderate numbers. Important topics here;
1. Comparing and Ordering Integers
2. Adding Integers
3. Subtracting Integers
Topic 5: Fractions
Fractions carry moderate marks and it is important for your child to understand how to convert them into whole numbers, lowest form, and more. Make sure your child concentrates more on like and unlike fractions as one question will come from that topic. Also, it is essential to learn the concept of addition and subtraction of the like and unlike fractions. The important topics are;
1. Finding Fractions Described by Given Figures and Vice-versa
2. Finding Fractions in Given Situations
3. Comparing & Ordering Like and Unlike Fractions
4. Adding and Subtracting Like and Unlike Fractions
Topic 6: Data Handling
This chapter needs a thorough understanding. Some of the important topics are;
- Recording Data
- Organisation of Data
- Interpretation of a Pictograph
- Drawing a Pictograph
- A Bar Graph
Topic 7: Decimals
This is a vital subject as it can fetch several marks. One of the most important tips to remember is to always recheck the calculations done and only place the decimal once the question is done. Teaching addition and subtraction of decimal therefore, it is important to ensure your child is thorough with this chapter. Some of the important topics are;
1. Finding Fractions Designed by Given Figures and Vice-versa
2. Finding Fractions in Given Situations
3. Comparing and Ordering Like and Unlike Fractions
4. Adding and Subtracting of Like and Unlike Fractions
Topic 8: Ratio and Proportion
This is one of the easiest chapters and learning this properly can help you fetch more marks. Make sure your child is able to study and goes through the concepts of ratio and proportion. Also, you will get one question from the unitary method, therefore, make sure your child studies. Important topics here;
1. Application of Ratios in Solving Problems
2. Unitary Method
Topic 9: Symmetry
Again, this is an important chapter and important for upcoming classes. Some of the important topics are;
- Making Symmetric Figures: Ink-blot Devils
- Figures With Two Lines of Symmetry
- Figures with Multiple Lines of Symmetry
- Reflection and Symmetry
Topic 10: Algebra
Algebra is such a topic, which will expand in the upcoming classes. Learning it thoroughly here will set a foundation important for the students. Your child needs to keep practising things like how to form equations and ensure they solve a plethora of questions. It is also important to go through the trial and error method. They can be easy and very interesting when learned correctly. The entire topic is important and they are;
- Introduction to Algebra.
- Matchstick Problems.
- The idea of a variable.
- Use of variables in common rules. Rules from Geometry. ...
- Expressions with variables.
- Practical applications of expressions.
- What is the equation?
- A solution of an equation.
Tips To Score Well In Exams
- Have a study plan for your child where you child is able to study well systematically.
- Ensure your child consumes a healthy and nutritious meal every day and avoids junk food as much as possible.
- Make sure your child sleeps for eight hours every day. Good sleep increases productivity and keeps them fresh and active.
- Give your child breaks and allow them free time every day.
- Focus on weak chapters and make sure your child keeps practising them to ensure they are strong enough.
Finally, remember, maths needs regular practice. In the study schedule, make sure you include maths every day. Don’t put any pressure on your child and let them study with ease as this subject is important throughout the schooling.