Netgear is the US-based computer networking company with headquarters in San Jose, California. Netgear has a massive clientele with offices in about more than 25 countries. As per their policies, the company has been committed to network technology innovation, focusing on product reliability and ease of use with routerlogin user interface, providing high-quality network solutions that are easy to use for business users and home users worldwide.
One of the widely use products of the Netgear is the Netgear’s wireless router. And in this article, we will provide you answer for - how is the Netgear wireless router usually set up and all that matters for a Netgear router setup.
Below we will introduce the setup of Netgear router - WGR614v9, as an example.
- WGR614v9 router setup (configuration)
- Connect WGR614v9 to the network
Configuring Your Router
At present, the most commonly used home or small office network is ADSL access. When dealing directly with a computer, the network connection should be as follows:
Now it is necessary to share the Internet through WGR614v9 as per the instructions of Netgear router support. If the computer and WGR614v9 are still connected by wire, the correct connection method should be as follows:
- One of four LAN ports should be connected to computer A. WGR614v9 )
- Then another cable to the WAN port WGR614v9 (yellow next to the antenna port) is connected to the ADSL MODEM.
Note: If your broadband does not need to use the Modem, the operator provides a network interface to connect directly to the computer. After the computer is connected to the LAN port of the router, connect the network cable originally connected to the computer to the WAN port of the router.
Computer network attribute configuration
WGR614v9 is a browser-based management device, the computer can be configured into the management interface of the router through the browser, but first, the relevant settings of the computer must be correct.
The following is an example of Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2:
- Start the computer, right-click on "My Network Places" and select "Properties" (you can find My Network Places on the desktop or Start menu).
- Thereafter, right click on the Local Connect and select Properties, under this, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and again click on Properties.
- Now set the computer to the option of "automatically obtain an IP address", then tap on automatically obtain the DNS server address and click "OK".
Router Login for Connecting to the network
Log in to the router to ensure that the computer has been wired to one of the four LAN ports of the router as described above, and the router is started.
- Start a browser such as Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator; open a web page for Netgear router login.
- Type https://www.netgear.com/ in the address bar of the web page and press Enter.
- Normally, the browser will pop up the following login box. Enter the username and password to successfully log in to the WGR614v9 management interface. The default username and password could be in the user manual of your gadget.
Note: If you enter: https://www.netgear.com/ in IE browser, after IE browser does not respond or can't open webpage, then:
- Check the connection property in IE browser, close proxy service: select above IE.
In the menu, 'Tools' → 'Internet Options (Option)' → 'Connections → 'LAN Settings (L)' -> all options are not ticked, then select 'OK' → 'OK', close the IE window, re- Open a page, enter the above address in the address bar, and press Enter.
Note: If you enter: routerlogin.com in IE browser after IE browser does not respond or can't open the webpage, then.
Note: The default IP address of WGR614v9 is 192.168.1.1. The reason shown above is that the address of another network device (such as ADSL Modem or another router) in your LAN is also 192.168.1.1; WGR614v9 It automatically modifies its own address to 10.0.0.1, effectively avoiding conflicts.