The traditional business model of having many different departments gave way to outsourcing quite some time ago and when combined with digital tech, this really empowers the entrepreneur in so many ways. In theory, you can run a national size organisation from a laptop and for those who understand outsourcing, there are no real limits on business expansion.
What Can you Outsource?
It is probably easier to say what can’t be sub contracted and the following are popular services that are outsourced:
- Web Design & Administration – Usually handled by a single provider who builds, maintains and updates the website, while also handling cyber-security, which is a must-have for any business these days.
- Office Services – Whether outsourcing company payroll in Singapore or your tax returns in Hong Kong, there are specialist firms that provide such services. Hiring staff is not only costly, you might have insufficient work to warrant taking on permanent employees, which carries many liabilities for the business owner. Outsourcing all your office work, bookkeeping and accounting to a third-party provider is a one stop solution and it allows you to focus on other aspects of the business. Some businesses offer consultancy services and they can often turn a failing business into a winning one.
- Logistics – Third-party logistics (3PL) is a booming sector, with so many e-commerce businesses that require picking, packing & delivery, all of which are under the umbrella of a single provider. The e-commerce owner never even sees the product as the 3PL provider has a stock of their products and packaging and guarantees rapid delivery to anywhere in the world. GPS technology empowers the business owner by giving real-time data as to current location of assignments and with instant notifications, you know when shipments arrive.
- Digital Marketing – No company wants to hire SEO technicians and the digital marketing agency are the go-to people when you want your message put out in all the right places. The agency would tailor their services to suit the client and they have many strategies to drive traffic to the target website.
- Printing – High-quality laser printed media is only available if you are prepared to invest in a state-of-the-art printer, which is usually high maintenance and outsourcing to a local print shop is the most cost-effective way to produce quality printed matter.
This is the medium that enables the business owner to manage all their transactions and partners and using video conferencing is a game-changer in itself! Of course, there are times when the DIY route is best but just about everything can be outsourced today; all you have to do is manage and coordinate the many providers that you work with.
It is important to check out any prospective contractor before agreeing to anything and most would be happy to provide you with a few client reviews and you can’t go wrong is you choose an established company with an excellent track record. If a provider is a member of a trade association or federation, this is always a good sign, as these organisations have very high standards.