Vape pens, as we know, has become one of the modern-day essentials which can be found with almost every adult around us. One of the highest considered alternate for smoking, Vaping is a process of inhaling vapour produced by an e-cigarette or electronic cigarette. E-cigarettes are smoking battery-powered electronic devices. They include cartridges filled with liquid that contains nicotine, chemicals, and flavourings. Vape pens can be found at any online vape store and have also been on the rise in the most recent trend.
However, it should be noted that vaping is an entirely different concept from smoking as these electronic cigarettes called vaping products do not contain tobacco and do it involve burning of any substance. Electronic cigarettes are filled with liquid that contains a small amount of nicotine in them. First introduced into the market in 2003, the devices were promoted as a way to cut back on cigarettes. Moving further, we will be discussing the pros and cons of vape pens.
- A safer alternative for chain smokers: Vape pens can be of great help when it comes to using for long term or chain smokers. Since it is not very easy for them to quit smoking at an instant, it should be noted that these e-cigarettes appear to be a safer alternative for long-term cigarette smokers who have been unable to successfully quit smoking using recommended and approved cessation aids.
- They do not promote diseases like cancer: Vape pens can be considered as a safer approach to smoking to a certain extent as they do not contain tobacco or as many of the other toxins and carcinogens that are the leading causes of lung disease and cancer in cigarette smokers. Moreover, these vape pens appear to be less risky for smokers who have mild to moderate cases of asthma.
- Vaping is a safer way to ingest a tobacco product. A UK government report stated that "best estimates show e-cigarettes are 95% less harmful to your health than normal cigarettes." E-cigarettes are safer for indoor use. Researchers found that the level of nicotine on surfaces in the homes of e-cigarette users was nearly 200 times lower than in the homes of traditional cigarette smokers.
- No more awful odours: One of the major pros of vaping is that it does not leave behind bad breath. Moreover, after you are done vaping, your environment does not smell of smoke. Vaping has an It has an engaging aroma, unlike normal cigarettes that comes from the flavours used and not the smoke from tobacco leaves. Some people hardly notice the smell of the vapour left behind.
- They come in unique flavours: In terms of flavours, vapes are never short of them as there are multiple options to choose from. Interestingly, there are also new flavours being tested out at regular intervals. Hence, there is no shortage of flavours and some examples of the most popular favourites include beverages, food, desserts, menthol, fruits, and tobacco.
- It comes with its own set of risks: Electronic devices expose lungs to various fatal substances. One of the substances present in vaping is diacetyl which is known to cause popcorn lung. It is an irreversible and severe lung disease. Moreover, e-cigarettes carry the chances of containing nicotine, even in small amounts, which triggers behavioral changes in the brain.
- E-cigarettes can catch fire or even explode: E-cigarette explosions have led to the loss of body parts (such as an eye, tongue, or tooth), third-degree burns, holes in the roof of the mouth, and death. Researchers at George Mason University found that 2,035 people sought emergency room treatment for burn or explosion injuries from e-cigarettes between 2015 and 2017, and believe there were more injuries that went untreated.
- E-cigarettes are on a rise among the minors: Being on the rise and for their easy availability, e-cigarettes are on the rise for the minors. As per certain data, a 900% increase in vaping by middle and high school students between 2011 and 2015 has been noted. Currently, one in five high school students is likely to use e-cigarettes and it is also concluded that the teens who use e-cigarettes are four times more likely to try regular cigarettes than their peers.
However, it is advisable that if you have a respiratory condition such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), it is important that you consider all the facts before using electronic cigarettes.