Pavements are small elevated tracks, which run by the side of the road. They do not only run by the sides of the road but are to be found in front of every house or building or apartment. Houses and apartments have pavement around the garden area.
Conventional paving systems like asphalt or concrete paving are not eco-friendly and have many disadvantages. The permeable paving system is a widely used system for paving. Besides, it is eco-friendly and provides a natural filtering system for groundwater. Permeable paving is easy to apply and look much pleasing to the eyes than the conventional ones. These also have various design option from which one can choose and decorate according to their needs. There are many advantages of the permeable paving system.
The main purpose of permeable paving is that it does allow water run-off and prevents puddling of water in one place. As permeable paving has gaps in between the gravels. Therefore, the water percolates to the ground. On the other hand, the conventional paving allows rain and stormwater to puddle on the sides of the road. And, this water finally reaches the drain pipes, which many a times are the reason for flash floods.
There are many advantages of the permeable paving system. Some of the advantages are listed below.
Advantages of Permeable Paving System
- Prevents Puddling: Puddles formed after rain or leakage of pipes or after watering the garden looks untidy. Puddles are places where diseases are formed like dengue, malaria, and chikungunya. As the permeable paving system is based on a grid framework and has gaps in between the stones or gravels. The water does not puddle but seeps down to the ground soil.
- Natural Filtration of water: In the conventional paving, the water runs off to the drains and gets wasted in the drain pipes. But permeable paving allows the water to percolate through the space between the pavement stones or gravels. The base of the paving system and the gaps between the stones are made and filled by pebbles and gravels. These gravels layers act as filtration levels while the water seeps down to the groundwater table. Their permeability makes them absorb the impurities and filters the water on the way down.
- Prevents flash flooding: Many times, heavy rainfall and overflowing rivers are not the only cause for flash floods. Sometimes, over flooding of the drainage system because of their low capacity also causes flash flooding. Here, the permeable paving system helps from causing such floods, as the ground absorbs the water, unlike the conventional system, which runs-off the water to the drains.
- Heat island effect decreases: Heat island effect is the absorption of heat by the land, resulting in a rise in the temperature. Asphalt and concrete paving surface absorb heat rapidly producing heat island effect easily. Therefore, the permeable paving surface absorbs the heat and then transferring it to the ground, as they have gaps between them. Hence, the surface stays cool eliminating the heat island effect.
- Materials used are recyclable: The materials used in the making of the permeable paving system are natural and easy to maintain. Their application is simple and the labor cost is less in comparison to the conventional system. The materials used are recycled glass or marble and some of them are extracted from natural plants.
Permeable paving is a modernized style of paving the ground and keeping it eco-friendly. The overall finish and design of the paving system appear aesthetically pleasing. The permeable paving stones come in various shapes and designs that suits the place of application. These are advantageous to the ecosystem and benefit the environment.