Not all flood and storm damage to your home needs a full-blown restoration job. Sometimes you will find that all you need is some professional carpet water damage cleanup services in Sydney to get your carpets looking like new again. This guide will show you what to do when flood water has damaged the carpet in your home, and how to get the best possible results from emergency flood restoration Sydney.
Restoring Carpets After a flood: The Basics of Flood Damage Restoration
carpet water damage cleanupis not as complicated as you might think it is, and there are some important steps that you can follow to make sure that your new carpet stays looking good for as long as possible. In the aftermath of flood damage to your carpets, there are 5 main things you need to do.
- Remove the excess flood water from the carpet as quickly as possible by using a wet vacuum, and blotting up any remaining floodwater with towels or rags. Don't rub too hard because this could damage the pile of the carpet. Use a carpet extractor if you have one to remove flood water from the carpet. Be careful not to push floodwater deeper into the piles of the carpet when you are extracting it with wet vacuuming or blotting it up with towels and rags.
- Remove flood damaged furniture from your home as soon as possible. Put flood damaged furniture out in the street to be collected by your flood clean up team. If you are unable to remove flood damaged furniture from the home, cover it with large sheets of plastic.
- Shut all windows and doors so that flood damage restoration crews can access the home without ruining any other parts of the house. Put signs on any open doorways or windows so that your flood cleanup crew knows which areas not to enter.
- Allow floodwater damaged carpets to dry naturally. Turn off any heating or air conditioning so that you don't re-wet the carpet while trying to dry it out. This is very important if there was sewage contamination in flood water after a sewer backflow incident because wet carpet could become seriously contaminated again when you turn the heating or air conditioning on. If flood water was not contaminated with sewage, you can use fans and dehumidifiers to help remove flood moisture from carpet as quickly as possible.
- Clean floodwater damaged carpets using a professional flood damage restoration Sydney company. The faster you dry out flood damage to carpet and the quicker you clean it afterwards, the better your chances of improving its appearance and getting rid of any odors that might be caused by floodwater damage. There are also some things you can do at home after flood water has damaged carpets, including cleaning up stains and washing flood-damaged rugs and carpets with a carpet cleaner or hot water extraction machine (also known as steam cleaning). You should call emergency flood restoration companies in Sydney as soon as you can after flood water has damaged carpets so that they can dry out flood water damage to carpet and remove floodwater stains. This is very important if there was sewage contamination because wet carpet could become seriously contaminated again when floodwater dries out.
- Reinstall flood damaged furniture, including carpets, rugs and draperies. If possible, take up flood damaged carpets before reinstalling them. If the flood cleanup crew or carpet cleaners removed flood water from carpet or cleaned it with a hot water extraction machine (also known as steam cleaning), you should reinstall the carpet without taking it up first.
If your home was flooded by storm rain rather than sewer backflow flooding, flood water damage to carpet is likely to be less severe than flood damage caused by sewer backflow. Water logged flood damaged carpets will need drying out if flood water entered your home above ground level, but they can usually remain in place without needing to be taken up first, which means they won't require reinstallation.
Also known as submersion flood damage or storm flood damage, the type of floodwater that causes the most problems with flooding homes is surface water (storm water) rather than sewage backflow. Storm water flood damage can also happen after heavy rainfall, but if your home was flooded by surface floodwater, it probably happened during a storm.
- Sudden, uncontrolled flooding is the most common cause of emergency flood damage in residential homes. This type of flood may be caused by high rainfall or strong winds that cause ground flooding, overland flooding (flash floods) and/or coastal flooding. Sometimes sewers back up into homes through drains rather than overflowing into streets. Sewer backflow can contaminate flood water with sewage so must be prevented at all costs to avoid illness and infections. If there has been sewer backflow flood damage due to downpours or storms in Sydney, you should hire professional flood restoration companies in Sydney to flood dry floodwater damage to carpet and remove floodwater stains from flood-damaged carpet.
If flood water has been contaminated with sewage it must be flood dried and flood stains must be flood cleaned before a flood restoration company in Sydney reinstalls flood damaged carpets so that you can avoid illness and infections. Flood drying is best done by carpet water damage cleanup crews, but there are some things you can do at home after flood water has damaged carpets, including cleaning up floodwater stains and washing flood-damaged rugs and carpets with a carpet cleaner or hot water extraction machine (also known as steam cleaning). You should call emergency flood damage restoration Sydney companies in Sydney as soon as possible if your home was flooded by sewer backflow during heavy rainfall or a flood because floodwater carpet damage will need flood drying and flood water stains must be flood cleaned before reinstalling flood damaged rugs or carpets.
click here for more info