As a business owner or manager, you most probably have multiple projects to handle or tasks to complete. And, to achieve your goals efficiently, you should establish teamwork.
However, the collaboration between team members in the workplace can also become complicated. Now, one good solution to this is using a compliant file sharing platform. In a way, it enables you to share data and other pieces of information so much easier, leading to faster progress and a better-rounded team.
In this article, you will learn about file-sharing platforms and how they help streamline your processes.
What Is a File Sharing Platform
In simple terms, a file-sharing platform is a software application that you can use to facilitate file transfers and collaboration between individuals in your organisation. And, it generally comes in two types:
This is a cloud-based solution that offers basic and user-friendly sharing and collaboration tools ideal for consumer use. It is usually free, and for the ones that are not, they are inexpensive. A couple of good examples are Google Drive and Dropbox.
This type comes with features that are designed for enterprise content management (ECM), such as document tracking, automated workflows, directory search, audit trails, and content access controls. Usually, this platform is provided by an encrypted file sharing service that specialises in data-centric security solutions to help businesses protect sensitive information.
How File Sharing Platforms Help Your Business
There are many benefits of using a compliant file sharing platform in your business. The most prominent are:
- Offers full protection of your information – Online file sharing has become a norm these days, but ensuring data security has been a headache for many businesses. With a compliant file-sharing solution, you can assure yourself that all your files are secure from getting into the wrong hands.
- Helps reduce operational costs – Having a file-sharing solution removes the need to pay couriers to deliver files to colleagues (who are working remotely), partners, and clients. It also saves time, which you can in turn spend on other important areas of your business.
- Promotes seamless collaboration between team members – You can share and access data in real-time without delay. This goes a long way to improve the overall efficiency of your business.
- Makes audits simpler – You no longer have to spend a lot of hours searching and tracking documents, as all your files will be stored in one safe place. Accessing them during audits is straightforward.
- Helps improve employee behaviour – As sharing, accessing, and processing documents is less stressful, your employee will feel better about their work. This leads to greater job satisfaction and morale.
As your processes become more efficient, there will be more room for your business to grow. This makes a compliant file-sharing platform a pretty wise investment to make.
Best Practices in File Sharing
Though you are using an encrypted file sharing platform, there are still things to do on your part to ensure the utmost security of your sensitive data.
1. Use the right application.
First and foremost, you should only use a reliable file-sharing platform for your business. Of course, you should not use a consumer-grade application, as it could put you at risk of data leaks and other information security threats. It also makes compliance difficult.
So, make sure you are using a business-grade application.
2. Set up a virtual private network (VPN).
Along with using an encrypted file hosting service, you should also set up a VPN, especially when you have people who are working remotely for your company. Basically, this security measure prevents your files from being intercepted when accessed on another network.
3. Use strong passwords.
Of course, nothing beats strong passwords when it comes to securing and protecting data. You can also require your people to set permissions for shared folders.
As you can see, using a compliant file sharing platform offers a lot of benefits to your business. This is especially true if you handle large files, such as software codes, high-resolution videos and photos, and 3D models, on a regular basis. In a way, it levels your playing field against larger competitors by ensuring efficiency and output quality.
To gather more tips and information that you can apply to your business, read our other articles!