Chub rub or inner thigh chafing is a common, unpleasant situation for many people, but it doesn’t have to be permanent. There are ways to avoid it or, if you are already experiencing it, relieve the pain. This article talks about the most helpful ways to help you confidently beat chafing issues and permanently relieve the pain of chub rub.
Too much rubbing of the skin, whether from walking, working out, or another activity, can cause your inner-thigh skin to weaken and wear away, resulting in painful thigh chafing.
Consider buying a pair of anti chafing shorts. Also, try to avoid wearing loose-fitting cotton pants, as they will hold moisture and irritate your skin even more.
Use Anti-Chafing Products
According to Birnur Aral, Ph.D., a senior chemist at the Good Housekeeping Institute, “anti-chafing products create a protective coating on the skin that might reduce friction between touching skin parts.” Aral recommends looking for waxes and polyethylene to form a film, along with silica and zinc oxide, which are powders that provide a silky and non-sticky texture. A useful tip? Try using antiperspirant on your inner thighs. It really works!
Limit The Amount Of Sweating You Do
Did you know that moisture can break down the top layer of skin, leaving it chafed and irritated? That’s why you need to limit how much you sweat. Talcum powder is effective in stopping your skin from sweating and keeping it dry. Before you begin your day, apply a light coat of powder on your inner thighs.
Treating Chafing Thighs
If you’re already suffering from chafing and in pain, there are a few things you can do to alleviate the discomfort and speed up the healing process.
1. Use a gentle cleanser and avoid scrubbing. Harsh soaps can exacerbate your chafed skin and make matters worse. Instead, gently wash with warm water and a pH-neutral moisturising soap bar.
2. Change up your clothes. Dr Kavita Mariwalla, a dermatologic surgeon at Stony Brook Hospital in New York, recommends wearing soft, breathable cotton clothing during the day and breathable cotton pyjamas instead of a nightgown at night. This keeps your thighs from becoming irritated further.
3. Apply moisturiser. To soothe, protect, and heal the raw skin, apply pure Vaseline. Stick to tried-and-tested petroleum jelly and avoid creams with fragrances or sophisticated components; they’ll bother you much more.
4. Purchase anti-chafing shorts. A good pair of anti-chafing shorts can work wonders for the chub rub issue you are facing.
5. Make an appointment with your doctor. If the chafing does not improve, you may have an infection. In addition, when the skin is broken, yeast and bacteria can invade your skin, necessitating the use of a medicinal cream.
See your doctor ASAP if you experience any of the following along with chafing:
Other Treatments For Chub Rub
Some other treatments that can help soothe chafed skin include topical corticosteroid creams, as well as aloe vera, coconut oil, shea butter, cornstarch, zinc oxide, and petroleum jelly.
The Bottom Line
Chub rub or inner thigh chafing is undoubtedly annoying and painful, but don’t let it get you down. Hopefully, this article has guided you through ways to prevent and treat chafing.