Hi everyone! When I try to power on my one of my virtual machines I got this error Virtual disk is not accessible on the host unable to access file error. Can anyone tell me the reasons why I am getting this error and also how to recover the data from the virtual machine disk file? Thanks in advance!
If the above query seems to be familiar with you and you are also facing the same problem then this article is for you. I will suggest you read the entire article and learn how to recover data from the virtual machine disk file if you are receiving the error VMware virtual disk is not accessible on the host error. In this article, we are going to discuss the various possible reasons why the user is getting this error. The user will get this type of error may be because of the corruption occur in the virtual machine disk file (VMDK) file. We will discuss the reason behind the corruption of the VMDK files.
What Makes Virtual Machine
A virtual machine is typically combination of the different files such as .log, .vmdk, .vmx etc. And generally stored in the hard disk of a host computer. A Virtual machine disk file is created using Vmware products such as Vmware workstation, Virtualbox ( Oracle Hypervisor). VMDK is an open file format which is developed by VMware for storing digital data. A virtual machine disk file contains all the necessary information which is required by the Hypervisor to run a virtual machine.
The Reason of Virtual Disk is Not Accessible on the Host Unable to Access File Error:
- VMDK file can be corrupted may be any of the following reason hardware/software failure, Human error, computer system malware, power surges and application file corruption problem.
- The user will get VMware virtual disk is not accessible on the host error because of descriptor file is missing.
- The user has to face this error when the descriptor section of the VMDK flat file is missing or incorrect.
- And also when VMDK or VMDK flat file is corrupt.
Note – If your Virtual machine disk file is corrupted and if the user wants to recover the data from the corrupted VMDK file then user don't need to worry about that. The user can try an efficient VMware Recovery Software which helps to recover the data from the corrupted or inaccessible virtual machine disk files.
Automated Solution of Virtual Disk is Not Accessible On the Host Unable to Access File Error
The VMware recovery software is smartly programmed and built with powerful recovery algorithms that help to recover the data in minimal time. This software is designed with an interactive and self-instructive interface so that technical and non-technical both the users can easily use this software with ease. So this software is capable to recover the data from the Virtual machine.
Some Important features of this software
- Recover virtual machine disk file data.
- The user can preview the data from multiple .vmdk files.
- Data recovery is possible from the FAT and NTFS file system.
- The software is compatible with all windows versions.
Steps to follow to retrieve the data from the VMDK files
- Download and launch the Vmware recovery software.
- Click on scan Button on the left side of the panel.
- Select the Scan virtual machine option and add the Virtual machine folder by clicking the browse button.
- Click on OK. After scanning the scan report will be generated.
- Click Save to save the report in CSV format.
- View the contents of virtual machine disk file.
From the above write-up, we have discussed the query Virtual disk is not accessible on the host unable to access file error. We have given the various possible reasons for this error. If the user is in fear of data loss situation and also if wants to access the virtual machine disk file contents, in that case, the user can prefer the automated solution to access and preview the contents of the VMDK file.