Home > Home Improvement > When is The Right Time to Hire A Mold Removal Service

When is The Right Time to Hire A Mold Removal Service

118 Views
LKY3I0WD7S 1

Have you ever opened a cabinet in your kitchen, only to see a big patch of black substance inside? Or did you need to look for something in the attic and found gray spots all on your walls instead? No one would ever be pleased to discover mold in the house. Unfortunately, it is a common phenomenon that is difficult to prevent.

The Mold in Your Home

Mold is a type of fungi that thrives in damp and warm places.  When they land in a moist area, they will attach to it and will begin to digest the material. This is their way to reproduce and grow. Unfortunately, houses, especially during the winter season, is a good place for the mold to survive.

Mold can be found anywhere - outdoors and indoors. It can get inside your home through vents, windows, heating, and air conditioning, and even through an open door. Your clothes, shoes, bags, and even pets can aid its entrance to your house.

Molds only grow in places where there is lots of moisture and a hefty supply of nutrients. It loves to adhere to leaking pipes, tiles, damp wallpaper, fabric, and even upholstery. The common areas where molds can be seen include:

  • Kitchen
  • Bathroom
  • Roof
  • Windows
  • Attic

Recommended read: 5 Signs Your Rental May Have A Mold Problem

Molds and Your Health

uoQ XC7ClHg 1iOCAXgkOH3ruUrg81bNly1rNs qT8HhGIbTrvdRe 9FnKNqdppUjEO2mpU3

Mold reproduction is invisible to the naked eye. But, once its population has grown, it often gives a musty smell and can already be easily spotted.

Mild mold exposure is usually not harmful. However, as some people are sensitive, it poses various health concerns. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), a moldy living condition is related to poor indoor air quality. For this reason, it becomes a risk factor for different respiratory problems.

Moreover, molds produce toxins that are harmful that may trigger hypersensitivity reactions to those with allergies.  Even if a person does not have allergies, constant contact with molds can also irritate the skin, eyes, and throat. 

The common symptoms of mold allergy are:

  • Itchy nose
  • Runny nose
  • Constant sneezing
  • Watery eyes
  • Headache
  • Nagging Cough

Ultimately, family members with asthma are at risk of having attacks when exposed to molds. A moldy environment is also harmful to a person with a weak immune system.  

Should You Do a DIY Mold Removal?

Do-it-yourself techniques often come at a cheaper cost. But, it is not necessarily smart to do such, especially for specific situations. Mold removal is one of those.

A DIY mold removal procedure is only effective during the first stages of mold reproduction. You should only use EPA-registered cleaning agents. Moreover, the moisture source should be determined and fixed to prevent contamination in the future.

However, keep in mind that DIY removal does not usually eliminate all the molds. While it removes the visible spots, mold spores sometimes stay and can cause further problems.

Mold cleaning agents are also a big concern. They are highly toxic and can cause several health problems.

Here are some of the points you should know if you are considering to do a DIY:

  • Bleach is not effective with mold spores. It can only stop its growth for a particular time, but it does not kill it.
  • Ammonia is a highly toxic chemical. It gives off poisonous fumes that may cause respiratory problems upon inhalation.
  • Fungicide sprays only eliminate visible spots. It is highly possible that dormant mold spores will reappear after some time. 

If there is only minimal mold contamination, DIY mold removal may fix the problem. Remember always to have personal protective equipment in place. It includes goggles, a facial mask, and gloves. You may also put a dehumidifier in place to decrease moisture in your house.

When Is It Time To Call a Professional Mold Removal Service?

NorIO6k R7bZ3TIqQFOCCTqDTuiHciIOsl75NXTOGnxK1N1fyuWtb1O8ig 8D

While DIY might do a quick fix to your mold problem, recurrence is sometimes unprevented. Hiring a professional mold removal service is necessary when:

  • Mold is present in your heating and air conditioning system
  • Mold is found in places that are complicated to clean, such as underneath the sink or in your water system
  • You are sensitive to molds
  • You do not have the time to do mold removal

Professional mold removers are experts. They can eliminate your mold problem permanently and other serious problems such as:

  • Thoroughly assess your house for the location of mold growth, including the dormant spores;
  • Eliminate black molds;
  • Bring the appropriate equipment and materials to remove molds;
  • Replace and clean damaged materials and apply mold, preventing chemicals future contamination.

Professional mold removal services have specific procedures to ensure that the mold is completely removed and will never recur. When looking for a professional service, here are some points that you may consider:

  • Containment

The affected space should be closed off for safety purposes. The area will be accessible once the mold removal process is complete. 

  • Removal Process

The cleaning service uses appropriate cleaning equipment and specialized cleaning materials. They should have cleaning agents specifically made for materials such as glass, wood, or concrete. Professionals may also use HEPA filtered machines to improve the air quality in your home.

  • Repair

An expert can fix or replace damaged house parts, like pipes and roofing. More to that, they should make sure that molds will not reappear in the future.

Takeaway

Mold removal should be fast and effective. Hiring a professional to do the job will save you time and additional cost for possible damage when just doing a DIY. Moreover, a professional removal service can guarantee a mold-free home now and even tomorrow.

TAGS
Business Module Hub