Free SEO Audit For Website
What is SEO Audit?
If you are an online business owner, then SEO Audit is a term which you should be well acquainted with. SEO Audit or content audit is a qualitative analysis of the contents on the homepage of a website. The process assesses the information on the webpage and its relationship with the surrounding information assets within the specified parameters. The process holds great significance in determining the online position of the websites.
What determines success?
The success of the SEO Audit process is determined by a number of factors. However, the following are the 8 most essential aspects to consider for ensuring the success of the process:
- Do away with redirecting– Sometimes, users experience a redirection of their browser to another URL instead of the base domain of the website. This depends on how the system administrator or site designer configured the website.
However, a redirecting homepage is highly imperfect for search engine optimization. A single redirection through a 301 server status code is still preferable. A server header check utility can effectively correct this but a careful procession with the process is advisable.
- Assess the visibility of texts– The info-graphics that build a website, contain text that is usually ignored by search engines. Performing the keyboard shortcut- CTRL+A on a personal computer, would determine the visibility of texts on the homepage. Viewing the cached version on Google and clicking the text-only version is an alternative option for people who wish to access the visibility of the texts on the homepage.
- Keywords and its appropriate density– The keywords are the phrases upon which a website gets visible to a viewer. So proper inclusion of the keywords within a webpage is much essential in terms of SEO perspective. One should use the keywords 1-1.5% of the total words of that webpage content.
- Evaluate title of homepage– The title tag should have the name of the business or the category to which it belongs. The title is an unavoidable SEO aspect on the homepage and matching it with the search of the consumers would be a win-win situation for the online business. One keyword that best describes the business can make the title search engine friendly and bring greater clicks. As per the search engines like Google, Yahoo, MSN, Bing the standard character limit for the Title of a webpage should be within 55 characters.
- Header tags Optimization– We can have maximum 6 header tags for a webpage; these are H1 to H2 in the ascending order. H1 tag is the main header of a website. It can be thought as the main headline of a page. We can only have 1 H1 tag for a webpage. If the H1 tag contains any targeted keywords of that webpage, then this comes very handy to improve ranking for that keywords if all the other issues are properly optimized. Then comes the H2 tag in that order. We can set H2 tags as per our requirements. On the beneath of H2 tag we can include H3 tags, H4 tags and so on up to H6 tag. The header tags should be meaningful in terms of the webpage content and should not be duplicated.
- Evaluation of Meta Description– The Meta description holds great significance because it is the determining factor. Meta description attracts potential customers to choose your business over your competitors. The text should clearly define your business with the specified character limit. Repeating the business name makes proves impertinent to optimization because it already appears in the title. The ideal length of the meta description should be within 155 characters nowadays.
- Code to text ratio– At the time of development it is to be maintained, the Code to Text ratio for a website/webpage. As if we have planned to promote our business online, then we should improve our organic ranking on the web for our targeted keywords. So for that, we should not avoid this factor. Code means on which programming language we are developing our website and the text is the content of a webpage. Nowadays the ideal code to text ratio is in between 25%-70%.
- Image ALT tag test– Image ALT tags are nothing but the name of the images that are being used on a website. The name of the images should be written as per the keywords of the website or as per the proper image of that object or thing. Image names should not be written in any random manner or any alphanumeric sequence that we usually do, but in case of website it is totally different and should be avoided.
- Avoid Underscores in URL– Including underscores in the URL is very bad SEO practice and search engines do not prefer these kinds of domain and the chances of getting down on the search result for keywords is high. We should write the URL of the website/webpages by providing the actual meaning of that page in one sentence. In simple sentence, the URLs should be user friendly.
- txt and Sitemap.xml- These two terms are very important as per our ethical SEO. A robots.txt is a text file that we include for our website to let the search engine know about the pages not to index (see). Even we can also restrict some of the search engine crawlers from stay away from our website. Crawlers or Search engine spiders are the entities which come on to websites after frequent time and look for if there anything remaining that needs to be indexed.
Sitemap.xml is a xml file that should be placed for every website to let search engines know about the presence of the website on the web. Search engines read the total number of pages of a website from this sitemap.xml file and prepare them to be indexed. But it is not mandatory that every webpage of a website will be indexed by the search engines unless those pages maintain the proper SEO guidelines.
- Canonical Issues Handling– The SEO Audit process needs to take the canonical issues into consideration. Canonical issues relate to two aspects- URL and IP Address. URL canonicalization shows how a website can use slightly variant URL for the same page. For example, http://www.abc.com and http://abc.com have different URLs but display the same page. If the user is not directed to the same page, then there is an URL canonical issue.
IP canonical issues arise when your site’s IP address doesn’t redirect you to the website’s domain name. Duplicate content problems become opportunistic if a search engine indexes the website under both its IP address and domain name.
An effective SEO Audit process should undertake URL canonicalization test and IP canonicalization test to easily resolve these issues.
- Optimize your logo– Many businesses tend to avoid logo optimization, but it is something very essential for SEO success. The SEO Audit process needs to check the existence of a good ALT text for the logos. Optimizing the logo catches the eyes of prospects and pushes to choose your business.
- Optimization of speed– You certainly will not want a website that takes minutes to load. SEO Audit should take the sites’ loading time into consideration. The process should undertake the following two tests for fixing issues with speed:
- HTML Compression/GZIP Test– If you are not a user of HTML compression tool, then your website is sure to load slowly. SEO Audit undertakes the HTML Compression test to ensure that the HTML size is reduced for quicker site loading.
- Site Loading Speed Test– The process of SEO Audit should ensure that the speed of a website conforms to the average time of 5 seconds. The process, however uses various tools to ensure the optimum loading speed of a website. This test would increase the number of visitors by making the site load in no-time.
- Use Structured Data Testing Tool– The SEO Audit process should check the website’s markup by using Google’s structured data testing tool and operator tool bar. These tools reflect the errors that most website developers make.
- Make the website mobile friendly– If your website is friendly for mobile devices, then you get an added advantage. A well-configured website for mobile devices gives an improved ranking and greater visibility to the website, which ultimately brings your business before a large number of potential customers.
- Analyze social media links– Social media presence forms an important component of the online promotion mix. If your homepage has sociable links to your social media, then there is nothing to worry about. The SEO Audit practices should consider the presence of social media links on the homepage so that the purpose of online promotion is accomplished.
- Microdata Schema test– Schema tests till now not considered to be a ranking factor for a website. A schema can be set from the webmaster tools that search engines provide. Schemas are the Data Highlighter, breadcrumbs and the others factor that we can set for better presence visually of a website on the web.
These aspects, when incorporated into the content audit practices, can bring voluminous clicks to your website. A steady and careful approach is sure to serve your objective in the best way.